What's new

iOS apps vs. Android apps

ffrcoupe

Reaction score
I know this thread is very similar to this one but I would like to know specifically about the apps, not the phones.

Being a noob to smartphones, I would like to know how the iOS apps compare to the Android apps.

I know that iOS has like 425,000 apps and Android has A LOT less but are most of the iOS apps worthless, free, crap, better, worse, etc.?

I honestly don’t know so that’s why I’m asking. :)

iOS apps are spectacular. You'll find both useful and useless apps in both stores so I don't really think there is a comparison there. Another big thing is that some android apps carry malicious stuff and iOS apps don't. Depending on what you look for and what you find good you'll be happy with both app stores. Depends on the user

iOS apps are spectacular. You'll find both useful and useless apps in both stores so I don't really think there is a comparison there. Another big thing is that some android apps carry malicious stuff and iOS apps don't. Depending on what you look for and what you find good you'll be happy with both app stores. Depends on the user

I was just looking around the iTunes app store and there is a lot of cool stuff there that I am going to try. The iTunes app store is very well organized and from what I understand Goggle has an Android apps store that is not as nice as the iTunes store.

I guess it makes sense that the iOS apps wouldn't have anything malicious because they all have to go through Apple.

Are there many apps that are on Android but not iOS? Kinda like being on the Xbox and not the PS3?

The short answer is yes. There are 1000s of apps on Android that don't exist on the iTunes App Store. Most notably Android has some of the very best system admin tools for remote connecting, scanning and control of remote computers. The only way you can even get close to these apps on an iPhone is to jailbreak it.

The short answer is yes. There are 1000s of apps on Android that don't exist on the iTunes App Store. Most notably Android has some of the very best system admin tools for remote connecting, scanning and control of remote computers. The only way you can even get close to these apps on an iPhone is to jailbreak it.

That's actually cool that you can use a smartphone to admin a network. I wouldn't be using it for that.

I understand that iOS is a better gaming platform over Android.

Skull One said:

Which android apps are you referring to? I use RDP on my iPhone to run a remote windows 7 computer and it works flawlessly.

Skull One said:

Which android apps are you referring to? I use RDP on my iPhone to run a remote windows 7 computer and it works flawlessly.

SSH, SFTP, network scanners to identify quickly which machines are up and port scanners to identify possible intrusion points. VNC/RDP is one thing the iPhone does as well as Android. But Android has more free choices vs iOS.

the thing about android is they allow anything in there so for ios I would for example download sonic..etc but on droid you get the mega drive emulator allowed in officially into their store. the games are very similar for example angry birds that is free on android WITH adverts that dont really get in the way much vs ios that you pay 59p. there really is not much difference at all, both are good

Unleashed said:
the better thing about android is they let any one put any files in there

THAT is not necessarily a good thing1

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Apps in the Android OS are good. FREE Google nav voice turn by turn is my favorite. Alot of the cream of the crop Android apps are based on satellites google ownes. I heart Google earth. The problem with Android apps is hardware distinction. Some apps run on certain phones only, while some apps crash other android devices. Like others have said, malicious apps are in the Android market, but if you are permission savvy, you can see that before you DL them. A wallpaper app never should be allowed to read contact data per say.

Apple apps are superior right? They all run and are checked off by Apple. That makes a priceless user experience, and more of a bug free one. I am glad iOS 5 is getting a NP. I hope iOS allows widgets some day, but I would take reliable apps through Apple over injected apps through who knows on a market saturated with low end devices juxtaposed with high end ones that make it challenging to a dev to deliver a unilateral experience.

Apps in the Android OS are good. FREE Google nav voice turn by turn is my favorite. Alot of the cream of the crop Android apps are based on satellites google ownes. I heart Google earth. The problem with Android apps is hardware distinction. Some apps run on certain phones only, while some apps crash other android devices. Like others have said, malicious apps are in the Android market, but if you are permission savvy, you can see that before you DL them. A wallpaper app never should be allowed to read contact data per say.

Apple apps are superior right? They all run and are checked off by Apple. That makes a priceless user experience, and more of a bug free one. I am glad iOS 5 is getting a NP. I hope iOS allows widgets some day, but I would take reliable apps through Apple over injected apps through who knows on a market saturated with low end devices juxtaposed with high end ones that make it challenging to a dev to deliver a unilateral experience.

Most the apps are the same, apart from the ones that apple does not accept in the app store, and on android it creates this need for a anti virus. Plus some of the free apps on android that cost money on ios is because they are filled with adverts like angry birds. The turn by turn is good, can't think why apple has only added maps that is useless

Last edited:
Okay, apps are pretty close and similar. I have a feeling apps run way better on an iPhone? I have had several Androids, and witnessed to many to count force closes, reboots, and frozen screens. Can I expect a more polished experience? I hope so, I am tired of bugs, and having to "manage" my phone to get it to operate well. I am ready for something OTB that plain and simple, works well.