What's new

iOS Apple still signs

xavier1970

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me why is Apple signing old iOS 4.1 for 3GS and 4.1/4.2.1 for 3G?

The only iOS that Apple signs is the latest or last iOS's, therefore, iOS 4.1 is no longer being signed for any devices. The only iOS on the 3G that is still supported and signed is iOS 4.2.1. The 3GS and newer iPhones are only signed on iOS 6.0.1 with the exception of the iPhone 5 which is 6.0.2. If you're looking to restore to anything but iOS 6.0.1 on the 3GS or 4, you will need SHSH blobs saved in order to downgrade or restore to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Last edited:
Well, it should be an old post I read saying that Apple was still signing 4.1 for 3Gs. I just restored mine about 2 months ago, I used a custom firmware and didnt have the SHSH saved. Now, I want to jailbreak and unlock a 3G iOS 4.2.1 bb 05.14.04 using redsn0w, so I dont need to create a custom formware with SHSH stiched cause Apple still signs this iOS, is that right? Thank you so much for your help

Last edited:
Apple is no longer signing 4.1 for the 3GS as mentioned above. If you used a custom firmware, chances are it's already been stitched. The only way to restore to an iOS that's no longer being signed is to have SHSH blobs. There are no exceptions, no hacks, no exploits, no cheats, no downloads, no backdoors, no workarounds, no rooting, nothing. Nothing that can bypass the mandate for SHSH blobs. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're relaying false information. SHSH blobs are mandatory for restoring to iOS's that are no longer being signed.

Jailbreak the iPhone 3G using RedSn0w's latest version, which is 0.9.15 beta 3. Download the 4.2.1 IPSW for the iPhone 3G, plug the 3G into your computer. Then go to Extras > Select IPSW and point it to the IPSW that you just downloaded. Then click back, and click Jailbreak. Put your device into DFU mode. If you don't know how to, follow the on-screen instructions that'll guide you. Once you approach the screen with a list of tickboxes, tick "Install Cydia" and "Deactivate" (tick Deactivate if you don't have an original carrier SIM for the 3G). Let the jailbreak process. Once you're finished, install UltraSn0w through Cydia and reboot your device. You're now on an untethered jailbreak and unlocked using UltraSn0w.

I got it. I understand the thing about the blobs, but can you explain that I didnt make the custom firmware myself, a friend gave it to me so there is no way the blobs were stiched and I could restore from 4.0.1 I had before jb to 4.1 I guess they must have closed it after I restored. Thank you so much for your patience and kindness. I´ll let you when if everything went right with the 3G

If he has access to your phone, your RedSn0w that's been used with your iPhone, TinyUmbrella that's saved your blobs or your ECID, he can retrieve your blobs and stitch it for you. Those are the only possibilities. iOS 4.1 signing stopped a little over 2 years ago. Once it's closed, they never reopen it.

Thanx a million willerz2. One more question. I´ll use my 3G with a non official carrier and you said I have to tick on "Deactivate", why? Is it the same to "Hacktivate"?

They're basically the same thing. Deactivate is RedSn0w's way of saying it, Hacktivating or Hactivating is a more localized term. They both mean the same thing, which is to bypass the setup process.

OK I´ll try to do the JB tomorrow and will let you know

Take it slow. Don't rush through it. Mistakes are always made when you rush through it, and quite frankly, jailbreaking is extremely simple to do, as long as you know what DFU mode is, and what to tick in the list of tickboxes, your jailbreak will go smoothly.

Hi willerz2Here I am again after failing to jailbreak my device. Here´s what I did. Selected the IPSW, ticked "Jailbreak and install Cydia" and "Deactivate". Waited for the whole process to finish, device rebooted but went into a screen with a slider bar of "Only emergency calls". Then I did something else. I saved the SHSH with TinyUmbrella, created a custom firmware and when I tried to restore it, an iTunes error 2 popped up. What did I do wrong, what does this error mean and what should I do to do a successful jb???

Then you'll need an original SIM from the carrier to get that problem fixed. The only time I've seen that problem was when my cousin came over to the US from Germany and was constantly brick walled with the same emergency call only screen. We had to get a SIM from his carrier to get that problem fixed.

But it has an original AT&T SIM. Should I remove it to jb? I forgot to tell you I tried to get it out of this screen with redsn0w option "Recovery fix". It began to do a process and then it ended up on iTunes logo where it is stuck now

The only iOS that Apple signs is the latest or last iOS's, therefore, iOS 4.1 is no longer being signed for any devices. The only iOS on the 3G that is still supported and signed is iOS 4.2.1. The 3GS and newer iPhones are only signed on iOS 6.0.1 with the exception of the iPhone 5 which is 6.0.2. If you're looking to restore to anything but iOS 6.0.1 on the 3GS or 4, you will need SHSH blobs saved in order to downgrade or restore to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Actually Apple is still signing 4.1 for iPhone 3G and 3GS. It's been kinda a fun little mystery as to why, but they do.

Hey willerz2 I´m stuck on the same screen with an iTunes logo and usb cable and a slider bar with emergency calls option only. I´have tried 100 times via redsn0w and sn0wbreeze making a custom firmware but I always get an error. What should I do?