What's new

ios 9 opening every app on iphone 4s

kmc1270

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I updated to ios 9 on my iphone 4s, and now, when I power on, every application opens in the background. I have to go in each time I power up and close about 25 apps so that my battery doesn't die in a few hours. I haven't found anything on this from a general web search, so I'm hoping someone on this forum might have some idea of what is happening. Oh yeah, I did update to ios 9.0.1 and that didn't help. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as this is my work phone.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

If you haven't done so already, reset your iPhone. This won't remove data or change settings, it might help with your problem. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of both, your iPhone will power up on it's own.

In case you were updating over the air (in Settings - General - Software Update), it might help if you connect your device to iTunes (computer) and restore it. This will install a fresh software version (without bugs, usually) on your iPhone. Make sure there's a most recent backup.
After restoring, reset your device once more.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

If you haven't done so already, reset your iPhone. This won't remove data or change settings, it might help with your problem. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of both, your iPhone will power up on it's own.

In case you were updating over the air (in Settings - General - Software Update), it might help if you connect your device to iTunes (computer) and restore it. This will install a fresh software version (without bugs, usually) on your iPhone. Make sure there's a most recent backup.

Hope that helps.
I'm seeing the same problem on my iPhone 6 and, while resetting does solve the problem temporarily, the problem resumes after a normal power cycle.. and with the same apps as before.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I updated to ios 9 on my iphone 4s, and now, when I power on, every application opens in the background. I have to go in each time I power up and close about 25 apps so that my battery doesn't die in a few hours. I haven't found anything on this from a general web search, so I'm hoping someone on this forum might have some idea of what is happening. Oh yeah, I did update to ios 9.0.1 and that didn't help. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as this is my work phone.

I'm seeing the same problem on my iPhone 6 and, while resetting does solve the problem temporarily, the problem resumes after a normal power cycle.. and with the same apps as before.
This is the first I've heard of this problem. Since not everybody has this problem, maybe something in settings is causing the problem. Try resetting all settings to see if it makes a dirrerence.

This is the first I've heard of this problem. Since not everybody has this problem, maybe something in settings is causing the problem. Try resetting all settings to see if it makes a dirrerence.
I'll try that. I did a complete erase and restore just after the upgrade, old habit, so I'm hoping that resetting all settings will help.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the recommendations, J.A., but it didn't seem to help.

Yep, the advice given by @scifan57 worked like a charm. I just assumed it was a bug, not even slightly annoying. You know you love a certain platform when you're not willing to make a fuss over small issues :)

Update: it appears that resetting settings also contributed to an increase in the overall speed of my iPhone 6. I'm going to make a habit of doing this after every OS upgrade.

Last edited: