What's new

iOS 9.3 update problem

1572AF4C-167E-47EA-AEFD-BB1F32DA3B1A.png
Thanks, J.A., but that's just the point - there is no share button at the top. The share button is still at the bottom where it's always been and it offers no option to lock anything.
The share button moves to the top of the page only after I tap it open. But, I do not have an option to lock it so I am missing something too

I've read a number of things telling me to go to Notes and upgrade them. I've wandered all through Settings, gone to Notes there, gone to Notes by clicking on its Icon, and have found no way to upgrade them. What in the world am I missing??

And I've done this with my ad blocker both on and off. It seems to make no difference.

Notes is a stock app and can only be updated through an iOS update. That's what the link in Johanna's post means by updating the notes app.

I must be dense - I still don't get it. How do I go about finding this update? To the best if my knowledge I'm current with all of them...

I keep forgetting, the reason I can not do this is that I do not save my notes in iCloud. They are on my phone or Yahoo. Perhaps that is why Bacchus is having the same issue.

I just saw on in my notes that I had 3 folders one iCloud one gmail and one was my phone.
Only my phone had this locking feature.
I also searched for this upgrade and it was right there on first page with all folders in top right corner it show upgrade and I pressed it came to next page and the it was a little note and also it told me read more and I pressed that.
It jumped back and started some kind of install.
Now I have locking feature on all folders except gmail when I press share that now moved up to the right corner on all folders.
Hope it helps and works the same for Bacchus.
Can check on my sons 5S if it's the same.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Notes lock feature is only on iCloud and " on this phone" Notes. It's not available for Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo or others. You also must upgrade the Notes app itself, if you haven't already done so. I only use iCloud Notes. I see no reason for Gmail Notes. It only makes it confusing and easy to lose Notes. I don't really have any secrets that need locking.

The upgrade is available regardless of where you save Notes. You must do it to enable folders in notes. But if you do not have the toggle on to save notes in iCloud, the locking feature ones not activate. All locked notes are in iCloud.

AHA!! THAT'S IT!! That's what I've been looking for! And you win the candy apple, camabe216. It was just where you said it was and worked just as you described. Thank you very, very much.

I only wish there were a real candy apple to send you. I do appreciate your input, though. As much as I like the iPhone and Apple products, I do have to say that, while their code writers may be extremely good their technical writers leave a lot to be desired in terms of being user-friendly.

And iTunes is possibly the least user-friendly of the lot. Poor, simple, barely computer-literate folks such as myself have a difficult time of determining what we're expected to do to accomplish this or that task required by the program.

In any case, we're now past this hurdle and are anxiously looking forward to the next. I offer my thanks to all of you who have contributed to the solving of this problem and, again, a special thanks to camabe216. It's folks like all of you who make this a great and useful forum.

I wish you all a great day... :)

The upgrade is available regardless of where you save Notes. You must do it to enable folders in notes. But if you do not have the toggle on to save notes in iCloud, the locking feature ones not activate. All locked notes are in iCloud.
You can turn off iCloud syncing of notes and still be able to lock the notes on your device. I just checked it on my iPhone 6 Plus.

You can turn off iCloud syncing of notes and still be able to lock the notes on your device. I just checked it on my iPhone 6 Plus.
There was a reason I didn't want to toggle it on in the first place, now I have to try to remember why. It's good to know I can toggle the setting off again and maintain the locking feature. Pity my brain takes so long to remember why I do things the way I do.

There was a reason I didn't want to toggle it on in the first place, now I have to try to remember why. It's good to know I can toggle the setting off again and maintain the locking feature. Pity my brain takes so long to remember why I do things the way I do.
I have the same problem, Bear. I don't know about you but, in my case, it has to do with age. It seems that ones memory quotient is inversely proportional to ones age. But I don't mind getting older - in fact, I rather enjoy it. It's far better than the alternative.... :)

Well, let's see...packing right now to go on a vacation and just got off the phone and made arrangements to leave again two days after I get home. Yeah, I will take what comes with age

Still frustrated with this 9.3.1 update.
Safari browser issues continue to persist.
Now relying on a 640 to get my web links.
:-(