What's new

iOS 6 Maps Turn-by-Turn Navigation and Flyover Requires iPhone 4S or iPad 2 or Later

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
7127-ios-6-maps-turn-turn.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that two of the more exciting features of iOS 6’s new Maps app –turn-by-turn navigation and Flyover– will only be available on the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 and new iPad (in fact iOS in its entirety will not be available on the original iPad). The same also applies to Siri, although that will only be available for the newest iPad as well as the iPhone 4S. The turn-by-turn navigation feature includes spoken directions, real-time traffic updates and 3D views, which presumably are just all too much for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, and don’t even think about the old iPad! The same goes for the Flyover feature of the app, which uses advanced 3D mapping data. AppleInsider also notes that Flyover function will only work in those cities where 3D models are available. Google may be able to take advantage of this when it brings in its new Maps app, complete with 3D, if it has the technology to make it compatible with the original iPad and the iPhone 4 and 3GS. Even if it’s not the default Maps app on iOS anymore, there’s nothing to stop people with older devices, or indeed with any device, using it as their Maps app of choice.

Source: iOS 6 Maps turn-by-turn requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later

Such a shame but it looks like its The iPhone 4's time to be forgotten about, not only does the 4 not get the Tomtom 3D turn by turn but no FaceTime over a 3G network even though that's been possible for a while with jailbreak along with a few other features it won't receive.

well i guess i wont be updating to iOS6 lol the one thing i wanted i cant get what a let down...

well i guess i wont be updating to iOS6 lol the one thing i wanted i cant get what a let down...

its not surprising really, the 3rd major ios update on any ios device will start to lack feature like it has always done in the past.. it is a shame really because the best feature wont be on the iphone 4

Unleashed said:
its not surprising really, the 3rd major ios update on any ios device will start to lack feature like it has always done in the past.. it is a shame really because the best feature wont be on the iphone 4

Time to upgrade. :p
Lol!

Time to upgrade. :p
Lol!

hehe I was tempted to guy buy the iphone 4S after this news but it cant be long until the next iphone so hopefully shortly after or before ios 6 is officially announced we will see a new iphone, like with mountain lion it already ships with the new macs, but some of those new features I already have from jailbreaking like 3G un restrictor, but I have to admit I do like this stuff officially added so I dont have to wait for an un tethered jb to do so, and the turn by turn I have that in my car so I can use it and not worry about it running out of battery even though I have a few USB ports in my car to charge my phone if need be, I just have to stop myself buying the 4S until october time in hopes there will be a new iphone lol