What's new

iOS 5 update lost camera roll photos

Polymerman

Reaction score
I just updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5. I followed the instructions to link my iPhone to iTunes and let the update proceed. Nothing was said about creating a backup before doing the update. (Some of us never learn). After the update, all the pictures in my camera roll (~ 100) had vanished. I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple support to learn that I am out of luck. The tech was very sympathetic, but I am sure this is not the first time
Apple has heard about this problem. Why don't they update their instructions to alert people to the need to make a backup first before installing the update? Very annoying.

Anyone know any secrets about how to recover the camera roll contents?

Polymerman

Polymerman said:
I just updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5. I followed the instructions to link my iPhone to iTunes and let the update proceed. Nothing was said about creating a backup before doing the update. (Some of us never learn). After the update, all the pictures in my camera roll (~ 100) had vanished. I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple support to learn that I am out of luck. The tech was very sympathetic, but I am sure this is not the first time
Apple has heard about this problem. Why don't they update their instructions to alert people to the need to make a backup first before installing the update? Very annoying.

Anyone know any secrets about how to recover the camera roll contents?

Polymerman

That's unfortunate that it happened to you but truthfully I'm not as sympathetic as the apple rep you spoke with. Backing up is always a priority and it shouldn't take anyone to remind you of that. But if you have never backed your device up you won't get the photos back.