What's new

iOS 4.2 Install Question

EWyatt

Reaction score
Got my Ip4 a few days ago and now -- an OS upgrade! Anyway, my home Internet connection is slow. Is the upgrade to iOS 4.2 using the iTunes PC synch quite large (over 20 MB) ... or so? 100 MB?? Thanks.

695 MB!!!!? So much for that. I guess I'll just stick with my current installed version, which is only several days old! Additionally, I can see that such a major installation in my iPhone could really affect all the personal touches I've made to it since purchase. Being a total newbie, I'll play the "conservative" angle for a while.

You didn't say where you got your iPhone but if there is a Apple Store near by the Genius bar should be able to upgrade your phone to iOS 4.2.1

One neat feature is Find My Phone which is part of MobileMe and is free now.
If your phone is lost or stolen you can go on me.com and track it . You can also lock it or wipe it remotely.

You need to have iOS 4.2.1 on your iPhone 4 and download the "Find My Phone" app from the app store and set up a free MobileMe account
It is a rub your head pat your tummy setup but once concurred well worth it.

Last edited:
When I had a slower connection I would backup my phone and when it was finished I would choose update. It would start downloading in iTunes. I would disconnect my phone and the program would continue to download. I would leave it overnight and then in the morning it would be finished and I would plug my phone in and it would finish the update. Hope that helps.

Thanks Summerwind and Rob for your comments. As you suggested, I'll just do it. Besides, what did I pay that $70/2-yr protection plan for if not for them to take care of me if I screw it up!

My internet provider has a 350 MB limit per day, so I always bust that with a OS update unless I get up to do it between 2:00AM and 7:00AM which is free time.
So... I started driving to Starbucks and using their free wifi to do my updates while I enjoy one of my favorites.... a Green Tea Frapahoochie or whatever it's called.

"One neat feature is Find My Phone which is part of MobileMe and is free now
If your phone is lost or stolen you can go on me.com and track it . You can also lock it or wipe it remotely."

I have Find my phone installed, but how does it work? Does the app has to be on all the time and if your phone gets stolen, how can you trace it if the app is not on or has been turned off?

You can download the iOS software direct from the apple website and then save it to a memory stick or cd. Then (if using windows) hold down the shift button and click upgrade. Then you can direct iTunes to the iOS file on your computer and it will work like normal from there. There is a similar process for mac...

Thanks again, gaz.... for the info. Being a Windows PC user for decades, I have a hard time adjusting to the different approach Apple products have toward user interfaces.
As I wrote before, I'll not be "upgrading" to the new 4.2 iPhone firmware -- I don't need the few additions, like "Find my Phone" etc. I've read too many horror stories after 4.2 upgrades. But do you see any major problems for me later in using the phone with iTunes if I don't upgrade? The answer should be No!
Thanks again.

You can download the iOS software direct from the apple website ...

OK, gaz.... I went to apple.com/ios and could NOT find anywhere to download 4.2! It shows how to download it via iTunes only. Maybe it's just been a bad day for me, but if YOU can find a link on that site (which you promoted above) please verify. I've Googled other sites for downloads, but I'd trust Apple's site more -- if the download link can be found.

I myself have never owned a mac or any apple product for that matter before the iPhone. It is a different way of doing things but once you get used to iTunes and the way apple works it makes life easier. Some of the stuff apple do is questionable however.

If you don't upgrade then there won't be any problems because of it. However, if you do encounter a problem with your phone and call apple the first thing they will ask is "Have you upgraded to the latest software.?" If the answer is no then they won't help you any further until you do. I myself am still on 4.1...