What's new

Internet connection sharing: ad-hoc wifi to laptop

4s_mtl

Reaction score
I am at a loss.
It just happens I spent quite a bit of time on getting my 4s connected to the net using my laptop wifi.
And it works ... kind a.

In Wifi connection (laptop XP): create ad-hoc network, ssid, shared, wep, passcode, connecting when in range.
This allows the iphone to connect to my laptop's wifi network. So the Laptop acts like a router without internet access since the wifi is not connected to internet, yet.

In Ethernet connection (laptop XP): activate sharing the connection for "Wifi connection", allow other to change my shared settings. This changes the Wifi TCPIP to 192.168.0.1 and the iphone automatically get an 192.168.0.xx IP pointing at the laptop connection as the router and DNS. So from the iphone I can connect to my ad-hoc network, provide the WEP key. Tested a connection to Google from Safari=works. Tested Speedtest.net and the speed is just as slow as my slow hotel connection, but I see connectivity.

When I try to go into the Appstore:
- I can't search, I can't select an application
- I can update an application ... (slow but working)
- I can install an application if I point to it using Safari.

I see no solution at this point ... maybe the hotel filters some of the trafic ?

Question: What am I doing wrong ? ...

Thanks to all.

Turns out that I did do everything correctly ... from the Delta hotel and from different sites it works fine.

It is not perfect. But does the job for most of what I need.
If there is a proxy server in the HostPC configuration, I can receive web or email information, but sending is not allowed. This must be a security feature.

At least now you know. Thanks for reading.