What's new

iMessage with iOS 5.1

Even if I do a restore without updating the iOS it won't work

I also did a backup before updating to 5.1, which by the way I did OTA not through iTunes.

I've only had this phone for a couple of months now do I'm pretty new to this stuff. So sorry if my questions seem somewhat stupid.

I appreciate all the help from you all on this forum

Thanks to everyone

All I did after I updated was go in message settings turn off iMessage then restart phone then turn back on iMessage. Work on both mine and wife's phone (4s)

Well iMessage is working correctly again. I forgot to plug my phone in last night to charge it and the battery was dead when I got up this morning. After I plugged it in to charge it and it came back on iMessage was working correctly, so I guess the phone just needed to reboot for some reason.

Thanks to all who offered their input.

Good to know that it only takes a reboot. I will file that away for future help.

It's my understanding that when the bubble is blue it's using iMessage and when the bubble is green it's SMS/Text Message. I have found occasionally that iMessage doesn't always work 100% of the time and will send it as text instead automatically, Correct? But my iMessage worked just fine after I updated, still sending in Blue, but I did do a hard reset of my iPhone after updating it to 5.1 as I do every time I update my phone.

It's my understanding that when the bubble is blue it's using iMessage and when the bubble is green it's SMS/Text Message. I have found occasionally that iMessage doesn't always work 100% of the time and will send it as text instead automatically, Correct? But my iMessage worked just fine after I updated, still sending in Blue, but I did do a hard reset of my iPhone after updating it to 5.1 as I do every time I update my phone.
If you are sure that you are having internet connection on your iPhone when you are sending an iMessage and the "send" button or the "message bubble" turn to be green, it could simply be that your contact even tough have iMessage setup on his/her iPhone is not have internet connection at the moment you are sending him/her an iMessage resulting to your iMessage to turn into a simple sms. The condition under which iMessage works is that both parties must have iMessage on their iPhone, and more importantly have internet connection.

jmi58 said:
Updated my iPhone 4S today to iOS 5.1 this morning and now iMessage now sends messages in mms mode to iPhones. I've turned iMessage off and then back on and after I log in it goes through activation and I get all the options but it still only sends in mms mode (green). When prior to the update they were blue.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Isn't green SMS?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Isn't green SMS?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Green is both for SMS and MMS. The only difference between SMS and MMS is the amount of data. If it is 160 characters or less with no binary data, then it goes on the SMS protocol. If it is 161 characters or more or has binary data it goes MMS.

I can not get imessage to activate. It was working fine before the update. I have soft and hard booted too. Also reentered my pin. Just says waiting for activation.... Any ideas?

I am also having the same issue. I just recently updated to 5.1. iMessage was working , then a day later it stopped. Only sms, and if they have iMessage turned off, if not i dont recieve their message. I tried to turn iMessage back on , but the activation keeps failing.
I have also tried the hard reset. I will try running the battery down to 0% and see what happens after a full charge.

I have the answer for you hade the Same problem à day ago!

First go settings turn iMessage off/on in messages!
Than hard reset the iPhone right upper button and switch off! Than restart and give Youre pin!

Next you see is register iMessage with ur Apple id account kindly the Same as buying Apps and ask for id!

FIXT enjoy Youre iMessage

Sent from my iPhone 4s white 32gb

Iphone 4s user - i updated yesterday...awful moment as error'd then crashed my phone! Thank god backed up before as had to restore.
After managed to get things working again any message threads that were imessage changed to text message - tried turning imessage off and on, use on 3G and wifi but nothing.
Soft rebooted, turned off and back on, working again! Good luck peeps

Does anyone know if you can email all your contacts at once besides doing one at a time. Tnx bob989