What's new

iMessage with iOS 5.1

jmi58

Reaction score
Updated my iPhone 4S today to iOS 5.1 this morning and now iMessage now sends messages in mms mode to iPhones. I've turned iMessage off and then back on and after I log in it goes through activation and I get all the options but it still only sends in mms mode (green). When prior to the update they were blue.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Green is SMS mode. The only time it turns to MMS mode is if you have more than 160 characters of text or binary data (pictures, music) attached to the text.

iMessage will only kick in if you and the other user are both on iOS 5.x and both are registered properly. If you wish to see if iMessage is working at all, find someone with it and ask for the email they have registered in iMessage, use that to text them. If it works, then you know there is a registration error with the person you have been trying to send to.

I noticed when texting my wife who also has a 4S ( purchased both phones at the same time) only difference is her phone is still at 5.0.1. Prior to today when I texted her it was the blue color now it's green. I did notice if I send a iMessage withy iPod to my iPhone it's the color blue.

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Green is SMS mode. The only time it turns to MMS mode is if you have more than 160 characters of text or binary data (pictures, music) attached to the text.

iMessage will only kick in if you and the other user are both on iOS 5.x and both are registered properly. If you wish to see if iMessage is working at all, find someone with it and ask for the email they have registered in iMessage, use that to text them. If it works, then you know there is a registration error with the person you have been trying to send to.

I have been sending my wife, also has a 4S, both phones have gone from blue to green.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

I have been sending my wife, also has a 4S, both phones have gone from blue to green.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

Did you try sending a text to here email address that is registered under iMessage?

Just tried the email address that is registered to her iMessage and it's blue. I turned off iMessage than turned it back on than logged into her iMessage account and then let it go through the verification process on her phone but it's still green. So I tried my daughter who has an iPhone 4 and iMessage is blue to her phone. I asked if she updated her phone and she said no so hers is still using ios 5.0.1.

Go figure

Using the email worked, but if I try her phone number it goes back to green/text

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

That proves it is a registration error. Since I have no direct experience with that issue, hopefully someone will chime in with a fix now that the troubleshooting part has been completed.

I guess there isn't any way to go back to 5.0.1 huh

I downloaded the 5.0.1 update to my pc last week so does that mean I might still be able to do it?