What's new

iMessage registration will not accept my Apple ID Name

crowd pleaser

Reaction score
Have a working Apple Id, i can access ITunes, download apps etceteras.

I have never got iMessage to work, i have both iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

if i 'register new account' and enter my Apple iD which is an email address, it says 'enter valid Apple iD', remove the '@' and it states 'registering' but don't go any further.

So i try via Apple site account management, to edit my valid apple iD to be a non email name, but i can't because it won't accept a non email address.

Going around in ever decreasing circles and driving me potty - any ideas what i'm doing wrong or how to get a non-email iD?

Just an update ti this, not getting any comment in here or iPads forum i went into the lakeside Apple Store.

My first ever visit, i was actually outside of the shop but it has no name, only rhe white Apple insignia.

Finally penny drops and i enter the shop, spot the help desk at the back. Wait patiently to speak with a geek, who eas all of 17 and 1st question he asked me was 'did i have an appointment?'.

I don't know what turns youninto a wolverine but i had battled mad xmas shopping traffic, fought for a parking space, and I'd walked best part of 2 miles, then waited patiently for an hour, so when i responded 'why, have walked into a hair dressers?' he got the very menacing vibe i was not likely to roll over and play dead any time soon.
The issue is a bug in iMessage, you need to go into settings, switch it off, then turn it back on.

I have the same issue with iMessenger. Did you manage to resolve the issue?