What's new

iMessage only seems to see phone numbers not email info in contacts

frustrated666

Reaction score
I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

This seems very odd. When I try to enter a contact in iMessage, it brings up all contacts with phone number info only. If does not bring up any email contact info. Almost like it is doing SMS only.

When I go to contacts and use "send message" from there, it works but the name which is displayed is not the contact name but a corrupted email address (if it was [email protected], the result would be joeblowcom. This actually works however and I do send the message as an iMessage.

The problem is that lookups fail from iMessage and consequently, I can only enter one contact into an iMessage (because I have to start the iMessage from the contact app).

I have SMS turned off (have tried this with it on and off). I have restored and reloaded my phone but no change. I have compared this to two other iPhone4's which work correctly and see no difference or clue. I have tried everything I can find in iMessage, Contacts and Mail but regardless of what I change, the fact remains that iMessage is failing to see email addresses and is only bringing up phone numbers for contacts.

Anyone else seeing this? Any idea how to fix it?

Are you sure you have it configured with an email address? Not the contact, but have you authorized your own email address in iMessage? I just opened mine and started typing a name and it shows the numbers on top with the email addresses below.

yes i did authorize my email acc but still dont see the emails only numbers but the strange thing is that my brother has the same issue :/ and one friend of mine too. he doesnt even have a jailbreak though it isnt jailbreak related