What's new

iCloud wishes

DaniManiPedi

Reaction score
Newbie that I am, I'm gathering that iCloud is to Apple, as Google is to Android. One thing I miss terribly is the security knowing that my Galaxy S4 was always backing up my contacts, etc to Google throughout the day. My iPhone 5s on the other hand, ONLY backs up to iCloud when I'm on WiFi AND when plugged into the charger AND when the phone is locked. Are there any better solutions out there where cloud backups happen several times a day over the cellular network?

Came from Android. And to this day I still use my Android account to maintain my contacts and calendar in real time on my iPhone. App data is backed up thru iTunes nightly. I could us iCloud but I started with iOS pre-iCloud so haven't switched. So you can have your cake and eat it too.

Awesome stuff! I just figured it out. I loaded my google contacts on my computer screen and then created a "test" contact on my iphone. I made sure google was set as the default account for contacts. POOF!! My computer screen instantaneously displayed the fake contact! Then I took it a step further and deleted that contact on the computer end. POOF!! It disappeared off my phone. Loving life! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
You need to turn off contact syncing on all other accounts except the gmail one. That forces iOS to use google in real time. Unfortunately because of iOS 7, the first account you now activate, that tracks contacts, is your iCloud/iTunes account. So basically that is what caused your initial issue. Turn off contact tracking in the iCloud account and turn on Contact tracking in the gmail account and that should flush one and load the other.

And I also deleted that iCloud account. I'm golden and it's all working great now! Thanks so much!

You should add the iCloud account back. In fact I can't recommend this enough. But when you set it back up you only want to sync things like Mail, Reminders, Notes, Photos, Documents & Data and ESPECIALLY Find My iPhone. You also need the iCloud account for the free backup of your app data at night when you are charging.

But let me restress this, if for no other reason, you need to have the iCloud account for Find My iPhone. It will make sure your phone stays secure and allow you to locate it in case of an emergency.