What's new

HELP .. is there a difference in iCloud & the Cloud technology?

Techie_Mom

Reaction score
I'm having issues at the moment with my Laptop and I'm afraid it's about to CRASH!

I have iCloud, but I believe I also have access to Google Cloud.

I'm wondering if either technology would allow for me to back up my docs and such that I have here on my laptop (it's not much I don't beleive) for safe keeping till I get whatever this problem is fixed??

Thanks

Kerri

iCloud works w/ your iDevice and saves data, contacts, apps, photos, etc. from your iDevice. You'd need a different "Cloud" service, such as "Google iCloud" that you mentioned, to backup info from your PC or laptop.

iCloud works w/ your iDevice and saves data, contacts, apps, photos, etc. from your iDevice. You'd need a different "Cloud" service, such as "Google iCloud" that you mentioned, to backup info from your PC or laptop.

Thank you Thomas, I have started 'reading' Google Cloud to see if what I am looking to do is possible through them. Thank you again. So I know that at least my calander, contacts, and photos (for the most part) are safe with iCloud.

Kerri

So I know that at least my calander, contacts, and photos (for the most part) are safe with iCloud.
Absolutely! And you'll be surprised how fast the free 5GB of iCloud space Apple gives you will fill up w/ your Photo Stream. Especially if you have numerous videos in there.

Absolutely! And you'll be surprised how fast the free 5GB of iCloud space Apple gives you will fill up w/ your Photo Stream. Especially if you have numerous videos in there.

Photo Stream doesn't count against your storage.

From Apple's website:

"When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, movies, apps, books, and TV shows — as well as your Photo Stream — don’t count against your free storage. That 5GB goes a long way for your mail, documents, account information, settings, and other app data. And if you need more storage, you can easily purchase an upgrade right from your device."

"When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, movies, apps, books, and TV shows — as well as your Photo Stream — don’t count against your free storage. That 5GB goes a long way for your mail, documents, account information, settings, and other app data. And if you need more storage, you can easily purchase an upgrade right from your device."
Oh wow... I was always under the understanding that it did. :-D That's why I've never kept the Photo Stream on. Definitely good to know... thanks witt!!!!