What's new

iCloud storage not enough after installing update 9

Drmax

Reaction score
Just as I wrote in subject line, phone went to auto backup and got the message not enough storage space on iCloud. I have the 5 gb free and none of it is being used. I never backup pics, so I do not know what is happening. I just installed the software 9 last night and today I have this problem. Now what?

Check all your settings to make sure nothing has been changed as sometimes that happens with an update. Restart your iPhone. If that doesn't fix your issue back up the iPhone using iTunes as this may reset some things too.

Same issue here. I had plenty of iCloud storage at 5Gb and now I need 200Gb after upgrade to 9.0

The 5 GB are also used for backups. If you backup to iCloud, take a look at Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - iCloud - Manage Storage. After updating to iOS 9.0, I had two backups for my iPhone there, both made at the same time, but needing different iCloud storage space.

If it's the same in your case, delete them both and backup your iPhone manually. Everything should work as usual afterwards.

A new update was released a few hours ago, btw: 9.0.1. It came with several bug fixes.

I don't use cloud and see no real useful need to backup my phone.
I stick a few files in DropBox from time to time,but just long enough to move them to a computer then i delete them.
Maybe i am missing something very important but don't really think so.

In Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Storage - iCloud - Manage Storage you'll find what uses the storage space. Take a look at Documents & Data, and make sure Mail isn't the one using more than the 5 GB.

Is your iPhone up to date?