What's new

iCloud Family Sharing

ralphmorgan

Reaction score
I have been trying to set up a Family Sharing under iCloud so that I can see where the member of the family are using Find My Friends app. Problem is there are only two of us and when I try to put in my wife's name or email address I get an error notice that I can not include myself as only my name is on the AT&T account for both phones. Any way to get around that? Or where am I going wrong as usually only one name is on a family sharing account. I have searched every where I can think of and can't find a simple answer, and I need it simple.

I go to settings, then iCloud, then Family, then Add Family Member, enter my wife's name, and get an error "You cannot send an invitation to your own account"

Thanks for all who can help.

I have been trying to set up a Family Sharing under iCloud so that I can see where the member of the family are using Find My Friends app. Problem is there are only two of us and when I try to put in my wife's name or email address I get an error notice that I can not include myself as only my name is on the AT&T account for both phones. Any way to get around that? Or where am I going wrong as usually only one name is on a family sharing account. I have searched every where I can think of and can't find a simple answer, and I need it simple.

I go to settings, then iCloud, then Family, then Add Family Member, enter my wife's name, and get an error "You cannot send an invitation to your own account"

Thanks for all who can help.
Do you use the same iCloud account on both iPhones?

Last edited:
Yes I do and that is probably the problem, but when a family has three or four phones and dad is paying the bill wouldn't he be using one account? You know when you get a way into the program it asks for one credit card to pay for whatever the "kids" might be buying. I can set up a different iCloud for my wife and see if that is the problem. Thanks

If I do a terrible job explaining this I apologize in advance. Long story short, your wife needs her own iCloud/Apple ID for family sharing to work properly. That being said, you can still have an Apple ID for iCloud and a separate Apple ID (I.e. The one that everyone has been sharing) for iTunes and still be able to add her to family sharing.

If I do a terrible job explaining this I apologize in advance. Long story short, your wife needs her own iCloud/Apple ID for family sharing to work properly. That being said, you can still have an Apple ID for iCloud and a separate Apple ID (I.e. The one that everyone has been sharing) for iTunes and still be able to add her to family sharing.
Good explanation. :)