What's new

icloud do I need it?

Just A Beginner

Reaction score
Having recently purchased a 3gs, I'm thinking of upgrading to 4s, some 4s phones on ebay state icloud is locked, do I need an icloud a/c?

Having recently purchased a 3gs, I'm thinking of upgrading to 4s, some 4s phones on ebay state icloud is locked, do I need an icloud a/c?

First of all, I would recommend staying away from iOS devices that are iCloud-locked, these may be stolen devices. The problem arises from the seller not having the Apple ID credentials that were used in the initial setup of the device. Many people buy iOS devices only to find that they cannot access some of the major features on the device because of the device being locked to a particular Apple ID. An iCloud-locked device will never truly be yours.

Secondly, I feel it would be good for any iOS user to understand what iCloud is. From Wikipedia:

iCloud is a cloud storage and cloud computing service from Apple Inc. launched on October 12, 2011. As of July 2013, the service has 320 million users. The service allows users to store data such as music and iOS applications on remote computer servers for download to multiple devices such as iOS-based devices running iOS 5 or later, and personal computers running OS X 10.7.2 "Lion" or later, or Microsoft Windows (Windows Vista service pack 2 or later). It also replaces Apple's MobileMe service, acting as a data syncing center for email, contacts, calendars, bookmarks, notes, reminders (to-do lists), iWork documents, photos and other data. The service also allows users to wirelessly back up their iOS devices to iCloud instead of manually doing so using iTunes.

I wouldn't use any iOS device that isn't able to access its integrated cloud service and I definitely would not buy a device that is iCloud-locked.

My advice: Save your money and buy a new iPhone, or one to that is not iCloud-locked. This is the only way to fully enjoy these wonderful devices without fear of someone showing up on your doorstep one day wanting their device back (Find My iPhone service).

Last edited:
My advice: Save your money and buy a new iPhone, or one to that is not iCloud-locked. This is the only way to fully enjoy these wonderful devices without fear of someone showing up on your doorstep one day wanting their device back (Find My iPhone service).
Just the advice I needed, thanks

Just the advice I needed, thanks

If you are in the USA, check with your local carriers. Many US carriers have new programs that allow you to purchase a new iPhone or iPad and spread the cost over 12 or more months. This is how I bought my iPhone 4S, iPhone 5s and iPad 4. I used the new Verizon EDGE program to take home an iPhone 5s two days ago and it didn't cost me a penny up front.

One more thing..... When you buy your new iPhone yes activate iCloud and also find my phone as this gives you not only back up of your device but also peace of mind knowing you may have a chance of finding your phone if it is lost or stolen.