What's new

I5 home button issues.

Aceunderfire

Reaction score
I have an i5 with an otterbox defender case( definitely a nicer built otterbox than for my 4s I might add). I work construction and started noticing that in colder weather I had to press the home button really hard to get it to work and sometimes it wouldn't work at all. I know it's obviously the cold being as I work outside and when I was home it would work fine. So I took the case off with the same results. My issue is its starting to do it all the time whether I'm in the cold or not and with or without case. Anyone else having any issues with the home button.

Try this, it has worked for me on my iPhone 4S as well as iPad 3. Simple and effective. Also, make sure to only hold the home button down lightly. Makes a difference.

Push come to shove you have the apple warranty on it. Sounds more like hardware than software.

Good luck with it.

Better hurry up and read that link before mods delete the link. They seem to like doing that.

Last edited:
Aceunderfire said:
I have an i5 with an otterbox defender case( definitely a nicer built otterbox than for my 4s I might add). I work construction and started noticing that in colder weather I had to press the home button really hard to get it to work and sometimes it wouldn't work at all. I know it's obviously the cold being as I work outside and when I was home it would work fine. So I took the case off with the same results. My issue is its starting to do it all the time whether I'm in the cold or not and with or without case. Anyone else having any issues with the home button.

You're still within the free 90 days of telephone tech support, call and explain your problem. If the problem is a warranty issue, you'll get an exchange for another iPhone.

Better hurry up and read that link before mods delete the link. They seem to like doing that.

You would be VERY incorrect. There are very specific guidelines concerning which links are allowed to stay and which ones are to be deleted. Since you seem unwilling to read those rules, based on other information I am privy to, let me explain them in a rather condensed format.

If the link directly supports the information provided in the post the link will be allowed to stay. But a great deal of the links posted are simply advertisements for other blogs, stores or to a generic part of the website not the direct area that needs to be referenced.

With that in mind, if you truly believe a link was removed that should not have been, please feel free to bring it to my attention. I will be more than happy to discuss why a link was removed here and even show you how the link should have been done to meet the rules.

Actually, I think what happened was I didnt actually have it in my clipboard when I posted the first time. I dont think it was removed I think it was a fat-finger on my part. Dunno, doesnt matter. the link is still there on my second. It is one that does directly support the OP's issue. I was having the same issue on my new iPad 3, tried the snapguide guide and it is now working like new.

One thing to note, the harder you keep pressing the home button, the less it will respond as time goes on. when you do try the method outlined in the guide, do it without a case on and lightly press the home button during the process. the lighter you press, the better it will respond. It is also something to think about when it comes to the colder temperatures - dont have the phone on your belt when it gets cold, try putting it in an internal chest pocket in your coat (if you have one) to keep it warmer.

If the snapguide doesnt work, I would say make a trip to the apple store if it is still in warranty and see what they say.

Thank you I will try the snap guide. But unfortunately I have to keep it on my belt do to being so far up in the air I don't have the luxury of stopping to take of my gloves and unzip my jacket to get it out. I appreciate the advice and will try it.

Snap guide didn't work so I took it to apple and the gave me a new one. Thanks for everyone's help.