What's new

I tunes back up problem

Greg C

Reaction score
Hi there... I tried to back up my wife's i phone 4 with i tunes. It asked me if i wanted to start new or back up from existing account. I chose the existing even thou it was over a year since i did that... it never warned me about loosing information but when it was finished it went back to how it was at the last back up and all the most recent photos and everything seem to be lost .... i soo hope someone can help...

What you did, wasn't backup, but restore the iPhone from that old backup. That's something different.

If there's an iCloud backup with the lost and latest information, you'll be able to retrieve the photos. Erase all content and settings (Settings - General - Reset) and restore from that backup. You don't need to connect to iTunes in this case.

Otherwise they could be lost forever.
Software (for PC or Mac) such as PhoneRescue or others might help get back the images, but I can't tell you if or how they work.

Hi there... I tried to back up my wife's i phone 4 with i tunes. It asked me if i wanted to start new or back up from existing account. I chose the existing even thou it was over a year since i did that... it never warned me about loosing information but when it was finished it went back to how it was at the last back up and all the most recent photos and everything seem to be lost .... i soo hope someone can help...
What you did, wasn't backup, but restore the iPhone from that old backup. That's something different.

If there's an iCloud backup with the lost and latest information, you'll be able to retrieve the photos. Erase all content and settings (Settings - General - Reset) and restore from that backup. You don't need to connect to iTunes in this case.

Otherwise they could be lost forever.
Software (for PC or Mac) such as PhoneRescue or others might help get back the images, but I can't tell you if or how they work.
Hi thanks for that i think your right.... the problem is that my wife has not used i cloud back up so now its all on me..... i afraid its all lost.... whoops

Actually, the data are not deleted from your wife's iPhone, Greg C. You can still find them back with some third-party tools.:)
But you'd better recover the data as soon as possible since any further operations and changes on the phone may rewrite the deleted data. And if the deleted data are rewrote, it's not able to be retrieved any more.
Here's some more info that may help you.
What can you recover with iFonebox?

Last edited:
It is common problem in iphone 4
Yes, that's true. But even you are using iPhone 6 plus, there's possibility that you accidentally lost data due to iCloud synchronization. And that's why people suggests to backup data frequently on computer using iTunes. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk