What's new

account and back up help

Jojo_2121

Reaction score
Hi I have a puzzle I am in need of help with......
I purchased two iphone 4 phones about 3 years ago and set them up on one account one apple id, email address etc.
One phone was for me and one for my husband.
Last year we broke up and at the end of the year I backed up my phone on my phone and it resulted in me getting all of his contacts and his photos. And he was unable to access facebook.
We contacted apple and they talked us through changing some settings we sorted out the photos and the contacts and facebook.
We didn't do whatasapp or txt messages.
I have purchased an iphone 6 and I need to back up my phone again but I need to do it on my laptop this time.
I am a bit bothered that the same thing will happen again but not necessarily with the contacts as I believe this has been resolved but it could happen for whatsapp.
I have spoken to apple and they were unable to advise me.
But if I create a new apple Id and use a different email address then back the phone up to the itunes store would this then resolve the problem?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Jojo_2121!

WhatsApp can backup your chats, if that's what you need.
Open the app, go to Settings - Chats and Calls - Chat Backup, and select "Backup Now", if you haven't a most recent once.
When you reinstall the app on your new phone, you'll be able to restore your chat history.
As far as I know, WhatsApp is connected to your telephone number, except if you chose to use your Facebook info as well.

Text messages can also be connected to the iCloud ID. If you both still use the same iCloud ID, it's possible that you receive his text messages as well.

Before giving any further advice:
Do you still use the same Apple ID that you had before you broke up, and if so: is it also your iCloud ID? Do you both use the same ID?

Btw: creating a new ID won't automatically solve every problem. If you create a completely new ID, the apps installed with the old ID will still need the passwords of the old one when they have to get updated, if you choose to keep them on your device, e.g.

Last edited:
ok thanks re the whatsapp I don't link it to facebook.

not sure about the iclould if it is both the same. We used the same itunes so possibly it is.

not to bothered about any other apps, it was just really whatsapp and the text messages. If I change my iclould and itunes Id will it stop him receiving my text messages?

If you don't care about the other apps, how about setting up the new iPhone without a backup, with a completely new Apple ID? With the same telephone number, it's possible to restore your WhatsApp chats, so you won't lose them, afaik.

You can see whether or not your iPhone is using the iCloud ID or Apple ID for text messages in Settings - Messages - Send & Receive. Usually, it's just the iCloud ID that's connected to Messages.

when i go to my text messages it just has my phone number in the send and receive bit

no I don't receive his messages at the moment, my fear is getting them again.... and loosing them from mine altogether

One more question: do you have something like "Text Message Forwarding" on your device in Settings - Messages, and if so: is his device enabled? That would explain why he's receiving your text messages. If so, turn it off.

So, in general:

It's possible to set up a new iCloud ID, remove the old ID from your iPhone and merge data to the new ID, so you won't lose Safari login information, bookmarks, ...

You can use the same ID as your new Apple ID. As stated before: when an app purchased with the current ID has to be updated, it will ask for it's password, because they're tied to that Apple ID. In case he decides to change the password, you won't be able to update the apps any more.

The messages in your app are included in a backup, so you shouldn't lose them, and you'll be able to restore from that backup when you set up your new iPhone.