What's new

I thought my home wifi would override data when using phone indoors.

islandman

Reaction score
Until a new tariff starts in ten days, I have an allowance of 250mb, hence the increase. I have turned off data on all apps except messenger (to receive from Cyprus). Each day I have kept a record of my usage and on Thursday 25th, I still had 149.7 mb. That's because all video calls have been at home on ipad using home wifi. But yesterday, as the ipad was on charge, I used my phone, thinking that whilst I was in the house, it would automatically connect to home wifi and override data.

My EE kicked in and informed me I had used over 80% which I took to be wrong. Looked at My EE usage, and it showed data level at 29.8mb

So, either I was wrong to assume home wifi would override or I have not got the settings right. Which is it please?

That's not an assumption I'd make lightly, having been burned in the past.

Turning off Wifi Assist would be a good start. You might also consider turning off cellular data entirely when you expect to be using wifi.

I know it's a clumsy method but it will save you money in the long run.

My provider told me ages ago to turn off Mobile Data even at home, If the wifi connection drops even a little your data will kick in and start using your allowance.

Thanks to each of you. The fact is, in all the time I have had a mobile capable of internet, I have always had it turned off simply because of the small allowance and afraid I would incur charges. But with my new iphone, and 250mb, had all data off except messenger so I could be in contact with my daughter in the military (and her husband). It soon became apparent that the 250 mb would not be enough. I have now negotiated a new deal which kicks in on Sept 9th, for unlimited mins/unlimited texts/4GB. Until then, I have been writing down my usage via the app, My EE. overnight, it dropped from 149.7mb to 29.8mb and that was one long messenger video call in the house done on the phone because ipad on charge.

It so happens this coming week, there is less chance of a video call, so with data turned off, I should be ok.

But I have just discovered an app called "wifi map" which seemingly locates the nearest free wifi source when I am out, not only that, is shows the password or connects automatically. That's what it says, only time will tell. If you have any experience with it or indeed any other, please let me know.

Getting back to my forthcoming 4GB, how would you leave settings?.

Let's put 4Gb into perspective, since providers like to throw around huge numbers in an attempt to show you how generous they are.

On the face of it, 4Gb sounds like a huge amount, but consider this. A BluRay disk holds 8Gb, a DVD holds 4.7Gb and a CD holds 0.7Gb.

So your allowance would be totally consumed by streaming less data than can be held on one DVD.

I'd continue to keep cellular data turned off whenever wifi is available, and limit the apps that you allow to use it.

My bad. I knew that. I'm going to sit in the corner for a while and get my brain into gear. No idea where I got 8Gb from.