What's new

I thought iphones since March were not locked to a network

David Richards

Reaction score
I had an iphone 5 on Orange, I have used it on EE which is now orange and i recently had to use it on a new monthly contract with 3 for a little while. i gave the phone to my daughter to use on vodaphone after reseting the phone as directed by apple, and it now says that the sim is invalid. surely if it was useable on 3 it should be useable on vodafone.

I had an iphone 5 on Orange, I have used it on EE which is now orange and i recently had to use it on a new monthly contract with 3 for a little while. i gave the phone to my daughter to use on vodaphone after reseting the phone as directed by apple, and it now says that the sim is invalid. surely if it was useable on 3 it should be useable on vodafone.
Was your daughter using a Vodaphone SIM card in the phone? Also, did you purchase the phone unlocked or did you request that it be unlocked at any time?

Did you purchase the iPhone from Apple or from the carrier? Most iPhones sold directly by Apple in the UK are unlocked, not so with the carriers if you paid a subsidized price.