What's new

unlocked iphone 5s problem

mickey1852000

Reaction score
I have recently got an iphone 5s that was previously on an EE contract. The contract was bought out and we paid EE to unlock the phone which they did.
I then put a 3 sim into the phone and everything worked fine until i had to restore the phone in i tunes on my desktop.
Since the restore whenever i try to use the 3 sim I get the message

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information

I have checked that the phone is no longer locked to EE at https://imeidata.net/iphone/unlock-check
and the search suggests that the Network is Global.

I have consequently done phone resets on the handset and on i tunes with the working EE sim in it but I still get the same message when i try the 3 sim.

I have no doubts that the phone was unlocked as the 3 sim was working prior to the restore in itunes, this problem seems to be a result of the restore.

I have looked through various forums and see that other people have had the same problem but nobody seems to have provided a solution. EE have been contacted and were not at all helpfull.

Can anyone please suggest how to make the 3 sim work?

Have you tried contacting Apple to see or they'll help. If EE had the iPhone unlocked for you, Apple should have a record of it and may be able to unlock it for you.

Apple may have locked the phone to your first server. As you say EE are not being helpful, could you ask 3 to contact Apple to unlock the phone in order for you to use their service?

not yet, i was hoping some kind soul on here would be able to provide the answer without resorting to a game of corporation pass the book.

Apple may have locked the phone to your first server. As you say EE are not being helpful, could you ask 3 to contact Apple to unlock the phone in order for you to use their service?
The thing is, EE did unlock it and I was able to use the 3 sim before i did the full restore on itunes.
I cant understand why the full restore seems to have relocked it, EE are claiming that is impossible.

It's not impossible. Have you an Apple Store near you? Alternatively, you could phone them direct. They are well known for their helpfulness.