What's new

I think I need an iMac

ardchoille

Reaction score
I've been using my Mac mini (stock late 2012 model) as my sole desktop machine since June of last year and I love this workhorse of a computer. However, I design a lot of artwork in GIMP and Pixelmator and have noticed that this machine slows down quite a bit when working with artwork projects that creep up on 1 GB in size. I need Apple to start selling patience in the app store, lol.

How about one of the new 27" iMacs with 5K retina display?

OMG Yes! I played with one at our local Best Buy and fell in love with it. Wish I had the money for one of those.

The iMacs are just gorgeous, I don't have the space for one and I like to be in front of the tv hence I always get a MacBook Pro.

The iMacs are just gorgeous, I don't have the space for one and I like to be in front of the tv hence I always get a MacBook Pro.

I like the Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure they could handle all of the artwork I create. How does the Macbook compare to the iMac as far as large projects as mentioned in the OP?

I like the Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure they could handle all of the artwork I create. How does the Macbook compare to the iMac as far as large projects as mentioned in the OP?
I don't know but I'm sure Apple would advise on that.

Last edited:
There's also the Mac Pro. With all the options it will certainly handle any task you set. And with a price only a little over $9,600.00 it's a real bargain.;)

The macbook pro is great, but the iMac is even better imo, lots of screen real estate and good for watching NetfliX :D

1TB SSD, 4GHz processor, 32GB ram, 4GB graphics.. you get higher specs for cheaper then the mbp

The macbook pro is great, but the iMac is even better imo, lots of screen real estate and good for watching NetfliX :D

1TB SSD, 4GHz processor, 32GB ram, 4GB graphics.. you get higher specs for cheaper then the mbp

Yeah, I'm going to save my pennies and buy an iMac rather than loading all of my money into upgrading my mini. This Mac mini is wonderful and works with iTunes well enough that I can turn it into a media box for the living room after I buy an iMac.