What's new

I phone 3 problems

rgh43

Reaction score
I have an old I phone AT&T 3G, that I put my SIM card into from my Samsung flip phone because I need something that will text easier than my old flip phone. Version 4.2.1 (8C148) Firmware 05.05.04 is that up to date? How do I determine if it is a 3 or 3GG

I opened settings and I was looking at contacts I come across "Import Sim Settings" so I tapped it, now I have many duplicates contacts, how can I get rid of them easily? How do I do it using the 1 by 1method or should I start over using a Reset or would that really wack things up so the phone wouldn’t work?

Now that one is not a major issue as the phone works fine but it is a pain sorting thru all the contacts as most people have 2 or 3 duplicates.

Pictures: in Photos I have downloaded all the old photos left on the phone so Camera Roll is clean but, Photo library has 20 photos I cant download no matter what I try. I can plug it into my PC, open it to see the DCIM card but is shows no pict's, How do I get those photos off as they are of my Grandson 5 yrs ago. I have learned my way around this phone but cant seem to fix these 2 things.

Now If you are wondering why I have this old phone that is all "I" need, my spouse (Sh blasphemy) has a Samsung Note so I ask her to look things up while travelling or at the mall etc so I really only now need to text infrequently or talk infrequently. 42yrs at the Phone Co has cured my need to be on the phone.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

There hasn't been an iPhone 3. The second generation of iPhones is the 3G, followed by the 3GS as third generation.
The 3G is up to date with 4.2.1 installed. The iPhone 3GS got updated until iOS 6.1.6. So if it's possible to update once more (you have to do this via iTunes on a computer), you're owner of an iPhone 3GS.

There are not really many external differences between the 3G and 3GS. The 3GS is slightly heavier than the 3G, but that's not really noticable.
The more important and recognizable differences are interally:
Camera: 2 MP (3G) - 3 MP (3GS)
The 3 GS has twice the RAM of the 3G, and a faster processor. The 3G has no digital compass, video capability, voice over and voice control. You find all of these on the iPhone 3GS.

If the images you can't remove were synced to the iPhone via iTunes, you'll have to remove them the same way. You'll have to connect your device to the computer with the photos, and un-sync them via iTunes. It won't be possible to remove them another way.

A bit late but Thank You for the info. It is a 3G, I haven't tried to download the pictures yet but I will get to it soon.