What's new

I keep getting Unrecognisable build when I'm trying to jailbreak my phone

WeirdoFreak

Reaction score
I'm trying to install cydia and jailbreak my phone but anytime I use redsnow I get to a certain part and it says unrecognisable build. Anybody know what I need to do.

The firmware is broken or you have downloaded the wrong one for your device try another one but make sure it matches your model of phone

I did buy my phone from a friend and had to get it factory unlocked, would that have anything to do with it as well. Do you think it would be safe for me to mess around with firmware or leave it to someone professional.

Thanks

I did buy my phone from a friend and had to get it factory unlocked, would that have anything to do with it as well. Do you think it would be safe for me to mess around with firmware or leave it to someone professional.

Thanks

No. that would have nothing to do with jailbreaking redsn0w.

What iOS are you on? iPhone 4 or 4S? Those 2 things are what you should say rite away when asking for help with a jailbreak......They matter.

So in order to get any "real" help I need to know what iOS you have, and what model iPhone you have.

"I tried to jailbreak my iPhone and it didn't work." just isn't enough.

Thanks

Would it be safe. Of coarse...Provided you did your research and know what your doing. If the phone was *truly* "factory" unlocked then you should have no problems. But since you say it is in fact unlocked, but not jailbroken, I assume it is a factory unlock.

WeirdoFreak said:
I got it factory unlocked. Iphone 4 16GB, IOS 5.1 (9B176)

Okay....have you got your phone jailbroken yet?

It was jailbroken in the past when I was using a gevey sim on IOS 4.3. But then I updated the software by mistake to IOS 5.1 (Gevey Sim won't work on 5.1) and had to get the phone factory unlocked to make it work again.

WeirdoFreak said:
It was jailbroken in the past when I was using a gevey sim on IOS 4.3. But then I updated the software by mistake to IOS 5.1 (Gevey Sim won't work on 5.1) and had to get the phone factory unlocked to make it work again.

So you are not jailbroken? So you still intend to do su?

No I'm not jailbroken at the moment, and yes I'd like to jailbreak it to install cydia on my phone if possible.

This threads title: I keep getting Unrecognizable build when I'm trying to jailbreak my phone
zig9449 asks: Okay....have you got your phone jailbroken yet? Then he asks: So you are not jailbroken? So you still intend to do su?

What the heck is zig9449 trying to do? He doesn't offer help but asks questions that are clearly answered by the title of the thread.

He did the same thing when I was seeking help.

zig9449: Are you merely trying to increase the number of posts you have? You don't seem to offer any help; just asking questions. Assuming you have ALL the information you need, do you have any helpful advise to offer?

WeirdoFreak said:
No I'm not jailbroken at the moment, and yes I'd like to jailbreak it to install cydia on my phone if possible.

Have you tried deleting redsn0w and downloading from a different browser or a guest account?

Also, make sure to right click and run as administrator.

jimt29 said:
This threads title: I keep getting Unrecognizable build when I'm trying to jailbreak my phone
zig9449 asks: Okay....have you got your phone jailbroken yet? Then he asks: So you are not jailbroken? So you still intend to do su?

What the heck is zig9449 trying to do? He doesn't offer help but asks questions that are clearly answered by the title of the thread.

He did the same thing when I was seeking help.

zig9449: Are you merely trying to increase the number of posts you have? You don't seem to offer any help; just asking questions. Assuming you have ALL the information you need, do you have any helpful advise to offer?

Lol........ya have to ask questions man. The more you know the easier it is help someone. Plain and simple. Tho...I though that was common sense.

WeirdoFreak said:

If you for some reason keep getting the build error, then you may have to manually select the IPSW file.

You do this by dowoading the 5.1 IPSW for your device model.

I would save it to your desktop, or a folder on your desktop.

Open redsn0w,
Click "Extras"
Click "Select IPSW"
Then simply locate the IPSW on your desktop and double click on it.

IPSW' take a long time to download.....but since you updated already via iTunes the IPSW is probably saved on your computer from iTunes. Tho I can only help you get to that if you are on Widows.

And a tip to reduce redsn0w errors.

When you download redsn0w and extract the .zip to your desktop.........

Open the redsn0w folder
Dag the "redsn0w.exe" to your desktop.

Right click on it
Click "Properties"
Then "Compatibility"

On the bottom of that box, underneath "Privilege Level" tick the box beside "Run this program as administrator" so there is a check mark in it.

Be sure to click the OK button for the changes to be saved.

From now on that redsn0w will alway run as admin without having to right click. Just double click on like any other app, and it starts up as admin automatically.

Cheers zig9449.... I did what you said and it worked, don't think i had the latest redsn0w and I also downloaded it using a different browser. I've only got a tethered jailbreak though, does that make much difference?