What's new

I have a question About my iPhone 5

Mets07104

Reaction score
I've had my iPhone 5 on AT&T Since the first day it came out. I was trying to unlock my iPhone 5 To find out that my iPhone is on a blacklist. What is blacklist and y

An iPhone on a blacklist usually means that it has been reported as lost or stolen. Blacklisted phones cannot be activated unless requested by the registered owner.

Common reasons for it to be on a blacklist is if you bought if off eBay/craigslist and the original owner reported it lost got a new one from the insurance and sold the old phone instead of sending it back. The insurance blacklisted it so they can get it back. If you got it directly from AT&T then it's probably an error and you can call them to fix it. That is unless you broke contract and owe them.

That the thing I don't understand I didn't buy my iPhone from Craigslist/ eBay and I never Reported stolen or lost. I still have the original iPhone 5 that I got From the apple store the first day it came out.

That leaves two options.

1. They gave you a refurbished one that someone reported lost/stolen and traded into the Apple store.

2. It's just a mistake in the system.

Either way you need to take it to an apple store and get it sorted.

Thanks I'm going to the apple store to c because I got this new

Please let us know the outcome, this is strange if your phone was bought new from Apple.

are you sure you mean blacklist or do you mean you have not been able to unlock it so that you can change sevice providers or modify the phones setting? Are yo saying that you got this phone last September and it has been non-operational since then, cant make calls or use data?

That's what I meant to say I wasn't able to unlock it For a different carrier. Why is that

That's what I meant to say I wasn't able to unlock it For a different carrier. Why is that

That's because your iPhone 5 was factory locked to AT&T at manufacture. Your first step would be to contact AT&T to ask if they would unlock the phone. If you're still under contract, they'll probably say no, or ask you to buy out your contract first.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator