What's new

HTML5 Vimeo Videos Now Embeddable with New Universal Player

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Vimeo.jpg

Video-sharing site Vimeo has just announced that it has updated its video embed code to what it calls “The Universal Player.” Essentially what this means for Flashless iPhone and iPad owners is that when you try to watch a Vimeo video, it will now automatically detect that you are accessing it from a browser that cannot use Flash, and will then determine the optimum player for your browser. Great news for every iPhone and iPad owner who gets frustrated by clicking on an enticing-looking video and getting that infuriating “you need to download the latest version of Flash” message!

Although Vimeo had actually started providing the option to watch videos in HTML5 back in January of this year, up until this latest update, users who wanted to watch videos on their iPhone, and latterly their iPad, had to select the option manually. Vimeo promises that their new Universal Player will provide a viewing experience that is “as seamless as possible.” They also say that they have improved the player’s general performance, speeding up load times and smoothing out the stutters.

For those that want to embed videos, Vimeo says that the new Universal Player is now the default embed code, available by clicking on the embed button on any Vimeo video. If you have videos on your site using the old Vimeo embed code, you’ll need to either replace it manually with the new Universal Player embed code, or add a special Javascript “snippet” to your page to automatically upgrade the old code. You can learn more about that on Vimeo’s FAQ page here.

Source: Vimeo

vimeo? is that in the app store? i dont see it.

OK, so I hate it when youtube vids play at low resolution on my iphone. So will this Vimeo sort that problem out? If so, do I need to buy some kind of software from them or is it something that will be implemented into a future safari browser for the iphone 4?

Thanks for the kind assistance. I am a total newbie at iphone. LOL