What's new

HTC Rezound vs iPhone 5

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I've had the Rezound forever, and have loved it. My fiance just recently used an upgradeto get the iPhone 5, and I was holding off, wanting to play with it before I bought it. I, like probably many of y'all, were initially disappointed when it was announced, as we have known everything about this phone for months, but after seeing some real hands-on with the thing, I slowly started coming around. The thinness and weight just astounded me lol

So anyway, she got her phone in the mail, and she let me play with it a bit and it blew me away. The speed is just lightning fast, and everything is so fluid. The 4" screen is perfect size for me, even though the phone initially looked goofily tall (although now I love it). When she took the phone out of the box, it had 89% battery left. She restored to a backup from her iPhone 4 and was up to 95% battery. She played with it for about 2 hours nonstop, and the thing was literally still at 79%. This is with 2 push email accounts, wifi, and mid-brightness auto-brightness. I was completely impressed. I initially was quite concerned that they didn't increase the battery almost at all, given a larger screen and LTE. This gave me an idea.

I still had the Rezound, and had both the stock battery and stock extended battery (which if you look on youtube or Google, makes the phone almost an inch thick!). I came to the Rezound from the 4S, and took a bit of a hit in battery life (well, comparing the 4S's 1,400mAh battery to the Rezound's 2,850mAh extended battery), but that never concerned me. Thinness, to me, is the most pointless 'spec' of a phone. I went straight to the extended, because I would rather have more battery life than anything, and I don't wear tight pants or anything either lol

I had the Rezound set up exactly like her iPhone 5. I added her 2 email accounts, and made it essentially the exact same in terms of brightness, apps, etc. I charged them both to 100%, and played a 1 hour YouTube streaming test over wifi and compared the results. The Rezound, with the twice-as-big extended battery dropped to 83%, which is what I was expecting, and was curious as to what the iPhone would be at. Checked the iPhone 5, and sure enough, the damn thing was at 89% left.

So now let's compare what we have here. (Both are set to be on wifi with only 3G turned on, no widgets on Rezound)

Rezound:
  • 10.17 Wh battery
  • 1,280x720 screen
  • 4.3" screen size
iPhone 5:
  • 5.45 Wh battery
  • 1,136x640 screen
  • 4" screen size
The battery in the iPhone 5 is about 46% smaller than that of the Rezound, so almost right at half the size. The screen on the Rezound has about 14% more surface area, and has right around 20% more pixels. Looking at these numbers, it is obvious that the Rezound should draw more power, but not too much more. The big thing here, though, is that it ran the battery down about 50% more than the iPhone 5 (17% vs 11%), yet did so with a battery that is nearly twice the size. That's crazy! I ran the test again with the stock Rezound battery, rated at 5.99Wh, and it is laughable at how awful the battery life is compared to the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 ran down to 88% this time, but the Rezound was down to 72%! 12% depleted on the iPhone 5 vs 28% on the Rezound. Also, keep in mind, this is with the separate LTE chip in the Rezound turned off.

Needless to say, I ended up buying an iPhone 5 lol the battery life has impressed me immensely. The only thing that is kind of annoying is the fact that I can only imagine how amazing the battery life would be had they kept the thickness the same as the 4S, crammed everything into the current dimensions of the iPhone 5 and stuffed the rest with battery.

In the end, even taking in to consideration the difference in screen size and resolution, the iPhone 5 gets amazingly impressive battery life. And, pointless as it is, the thinness amazes me. We stacked my fiances iPhone 5 on top of mine, and they are, combined, not as thick as the Rezound lol I never had a case on my Rezound, for obvious reasons, and I don't foresee myself getting one for the iPhone 5. I do, however, have the front and back protected by the Zagg HD cover, as I have read that the black coloring is easily scratched.

I did run a lot more tests, I just wanted to share my experience on the impressive battery life on this thing. Half the size getting about 50% more run time is remarkable.

I'm not too awful surprised. First if it doesn't say Motorola, it ain't a Droid. Second I don't think that highly of HTC Android phones. Glad to have you on board with us.

I'm not too awful surprised. First if it doesn't say Motorola, it ain't a Droid. Second I don't think that highly of HTC Android phones. Glad to have you on board with us.

It really wasn't that bad of a phone, the iPhone 5 is just that much better than it. I did have the OG Droid though, that thing was a beast lol Still runs to this day at 1.3GHz, with JB on it lol