What's new

How to replace an existing iphone4s with a new (used) one.

AE1M

Reaction score
My #1 son has an iPhone 4s 16GB. My son #2 had an iPhone 4s 64GB that got water damaged and we utilized an upgrade and got him a 5s through the Verizon website. We are all on the same Verizon account.

I got the old iPhone 4S 64GB repaired and son #1 wants it.

Never had to do this kind of swap. I'd like to think I can just reset the phone under SETTINGS using his iTunes account password, then go to the Verizon website and enter the MEID code for the 64GB model to replace the 16GB model and the phone number will switch. Then he can connect to iTunes and somehow magically restore his apps, music, settings etc....

Is this correct, any hitches I should know about? Will it affect #2 son's iTune account any way which he now has his iPhone 5s on?

Thanks,

Bob

Not necessary. You can do it through your My Verizon Wireless account online. Here's a simple walkthrough that Verizon made on the process.

Not necessary. You can do it through your My Verizon Wireless account online. Here's a simple walkthrough that Verizon made on the process.

You either mis-understand or I explained poorly.

The 64GB 4S is currrently NOT on the plan, that phone was damaged and #2 son got a 5S. It is currently inactive after being fixed. Want to activate it on #1 sons plan which is now a 16GB 4s. I think I select "activate a phone that was previously used on this account" that I saw on the video.

Still after moving the phone number, will iTunes be smart enough to re-load the current 16GB's data onto the newly re-activated 64GB?

Misread that really horribly. My mistake. Since the phone is inactive, unless Verizon has changed something that I'm unaware of, you can insert the SIM card of son #1 into the 64 GB 4S, and plug it into iTunes, and it'll request for activation by updating your Verizon data OTA through iTunes. If it does not request for activation upon plugging in the device, restore the device with son #1's SIM in it, and it will undergo the activation process after the restore.

Misread that really horribly. My mistake. Since the phone is inactive, unless Verizon has changed something that I'm unaware of, you can insert the SIM card of son #1 into the 64 GB 4S, and plug it into iTunes, and it'll request for activation by updating your Verizon data OTA through iTunes. If it does not request for activation upon plugging in the device, restore the device with son #1's SIM in it, and it will undergo the activation process after the restore.

This sounds easy for me, but would changing the MEID of the phone on the account (the 64GB phone) on the website then restoring from iTunes do the same?

I can send him the 64GB phone (he has his 16GB) and when he gets it, make the edit on the website and then all he'd need to do is restore from iTunes.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion!

Bob

The MEID change on the website is redundant because the iTunes activation does the same thing, just through iTunes rather than you having to manually log in and doing the modifications yourself. A few months ago I did the SIM swap and plugged the new device + SIM combo into iTunes, and it just went straight to the activation screen on iTunes (not on the device) and it was done in minutes, no need for logging into VZW or anything. Worse case scenario is that you'd have to spend 30 minutes downloading and restoring manually through iTunes. Either or will result in what we're looking to do. It was a heck of a lot easier back when the *228 method worked, but unfortunately it doesn't anymore on smartphones :p