What's new

How to jailbreak 4.2.1 (tethered)

is the untethered for mac better then tethered? or some thing?
Im freaking lost with this whole JB bs. Some say Dont install tethered. Ull need to reboot or rejb ur phone every time! , ull need to reboot ur phone after every program u install......

go figure wtf does this whole tethered JB means..

Last edited by a moderator:
You should start your own thread with your questions I think... all the answers to your questions can be found here on the forums, as well as easily googled.

You seem frustrated for no reason :)

I'll PM you now to answer your questions.

hello dears,
ios4.3 beta availble,
unlock 4.1?????????????????????????????????

Ok so I have followed the tutorial for windows JB and it doesn't work for me for some reason. I get all the way to the last step where it says downloading JB data to phone and pc says loading ramdisk but ramdisk only gets up to like 2 bars and that's it. Any ideas why it failing?

I had the same problem.....are u running redsn0w? If so, before u run it again, right click on the redsn0w, then click on " compatability". Then click on Run in windows XP catability mode.......click apply, then run Redsn0w again & u will be shocked at how fast it goes

Hi,

Just need a bit of help, and was hoping someone on here could do just that!

I basically updated my iPhone 3GS to this 4.2.1. JB tethered state, and it get's really annoying constantly turning on computer every time I reboot the phone. I was just wondering if I can now somehow untether the device, so that I don't have to constantly keep doing this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Amit

Hi,

Just need a bit of help, and was hoping someone on here could do just that!

I basically updated my iPhone 3GS to this 4.2.1. JB tethered state, and it get's really annoying constantly turning on computer every time I reboot the phone. I was just wondering if I can now somehow untether the device, so that I don't have to constantly keep doing this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Amit

You can quickly access, download & install Corona 5.0.1 Untether (Chronic Dev team’s version, packaged in the Cydia store) for your iPhone 4, iPhone 4 (CDMA), iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPod Touch 4G & iPod Touch 3G *CURRENTLY RUNNING iOS 5.0.1* by following the steps below:
  • Open the Cydia app on your tethered jailbroken device**
  • Search for “Corona"
  • Install, then you will be un tethered

Hi mate, much appreciated for the help but it doesn't seem to work. When I search for that Corona, only theme ppackages open up in my Cydia.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know because I am a beginner.

Cheers

Oh I just found that app you was talking about mate, but in the description it says it will untether iOS 5.0.1 devices.. Mine is on 4.2.1 with baseband 06.15.00.. Will it still work?

Why don't you update to 5.0.1 and jailbreak usin the latest redsnow. It's untethered. Just be sure to use a custom firmware with the iPad baseband preloaded or you won't be able to update...

Oh can you do that?! I just remember reading that when I did JB they said I wont be able to update it ever again
... Bit if I can do that can you just give me a bit of details on how to do that pleasee.

Thanks pal

Use pwnage tool or snowbreeze if your on windows to create a custom firmware. You will need the original 5.0.1 file for your phone which can be found here,

Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPhone

I
've never had to create a custom firmware so I cant help you with that part. I've been told it's fairly straight forward. All you want to do is update the iPad baseband...

Im not sure I'll be able to figure out how to make a custom firmware either.
I might just leave it because I don't want to risk messing it up and breaking.

Thanks for help anyway though.

Amit

the only reason to create a custom firmware would be for baseband preservation but on 4.2.1 you would use greenpois0n or limera1n to jailbreak un tethered 4.2.1 (unless using the iphone 3G) then you would use redsn0w

The best way to go about this is to dump you 4.2.1 blobs with iFaith, build an IPSW out if this blobs with a stock 4.2.1 IPSW.

Enter PWNED DFU mode and shif+restore to the iFaith IPSW. (it will not update baseband).

Then jailbreak with redsn0w,Greenpois0n.

If your don't rely in an unlock you can just update to 5.0.1 stock and untether it with redsn0w

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU USE CORONA!!!!!!!!! EVER.
NOT EVEN ON 5.0.1!!!!!!!
CORONA IS HORRIBLE.

DO NOT USE PEOPLE.

USE REDSN0W 0.9.10b3.

AND NOT BETA 1 OR 2!!!!!!