What's new

How to jailbreak 4.2.1 (tethered)

im kind of new to all this can anyone explain whats the difference with tethering?
and is there any point in JB my phone?
my mate did his and he said he didnt get any free apps and thats all i thought it was for?

thanks

Dan

My redsn0w seems to crash when the IPhone is downloading ramdisk. It crashes
and says windows has encountered a problem. Help anyone?

My redsn0w seems to crash when the IPhone is downloading ramdisk. It crashes
and says windows has encountered a problem. Help anyone?

For that, right click on "redsn0w" and go to properties > compatibility and click the latest one. Then go to the task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and go to redsnow > right click it > set affinity > uncheck "CPU 0"

What's the difference between tethered and untethered just curious to this.

It means every time you turn your phone off or reboot it you have to plug it into your computer and jailbreak it again or it won't turn on...

It means every time you turn your phone off or reboot it you have to plug it into your computer and jailbreak it again or it won't turn on...

thanks.
i have jailbroken my phone before and for certain things like in winterboard i think it was called it resets if you change something...
would i have to plug it back into the pc if it resets the springboard like in winterboard?

Dan

thanks.
i have jailbroken my phone before and for certain things like in winterboard i think it was called it resets if you change something...
would i have to plug it back into the pc if it resets the springboard like in winterboard?

Dan

yes.. some people dont care though but i think most wont use tethered jb and there is un tethered coming and you already can if you have a mac

Thats not exactly correct. When you install winterboard from cydia you will have to reboot meaning you need to plug it back in. When changing themes you ony require a respring so there's no need to plug back in...

So, how long do you think until an untethered jailbreak is realeased?

Excellent, that's good timing for when I'll have my iPhone 4 for my actual carrier, no more waiting for an unlock. The waiting shall end. And an untethered jailbreak to come with it a few days later. That's good timing for the Dev team.

Excellent, that's good timing for when I'll have my iPhone 4 for my actual carrier, no more waiting for an unlock. The waiting shall end. And an untethered jailbreak to come with it a few days later. That's good timing for the Dev team.

well its an endless waiting game, what happens when the next firmware is released and the one after?

if your happy staying on the most recent un lockable firmware then great but that would suck..

some dont need unlock but still dont upgrade firmware because of the jailbreak and some of the Cydia apps they pay for or cant go with out

excellent news, and tethered is ok because how often do you restart the iphone any way?

excatly lol I have done it only once since I have done this and that was after installing cydia great write up :D