What's new

How to jailbreak 4.2.1 (tethered)

Im trying to read as much as i can on this forum to educate myself about the ip4
Im on locked Ip4. Was on 4.1 and as soon as 4.2.1 came out i couldnt hold on and had to get it :) Im not JB yet. Love the findmyip4 app btw.
mY Qs

Someone posted links to ios versions. Just to make sure i got it right. If im on 4.2.1 I can download the 4.1 from the link on page 2 and go back to 4.1v. correct?

Why is everyone talking about 4.1 Untethred and not 4.2.1? It comes out sooner for 4.1? if so then why?

Since there isnt Un T. for 4.1 and 4.2.1. which JB version is better? I really want to JB my iphone to see what its all about and dunno whether to go back to 4.1 (if possible) and jb it or JB my current 4.2.1.

Again, I dont mind rebooting my phone. Aside from that what are some
Pros and Cons on JB ip4 vs Non JB?

Thanks.

hello, i agree i dont care if i lose my jb and i upgraded also.

and no its not as simple as just downloading earlier firmware and downgrading you neef to have saved your shsh and then use different method to downgrade.

jailbreak has already been released for 4.1 and 4.2.1 also but tethered which means every time you restart your phone you lose the jb and its a lot of hassle and not worth doing so. so people are waiting for a non tethered jailbreak to make life easier. and some apps you download need to restart the phone so even if you think well i never restart it if you download apps like winterboard then it sucks.

pros are mainly customisation of the phone and some sweet apps that apple suck and dont allow in the store of apps, but lately those apps are not free and personally i refuse to pay for jailbreak apps

What do you mean everytime i restart i lose my jb?
Im lost now. Though you do jb and you rstart for whatever reason but when thd phone is back on the jb, apps and everythibg else is still there...
Then whats the point doing jb if after restart you lose it?
Unless im missing something

What do you mean everytime i restart i lose my jb?
Im lost now. Though you do jb and you rstart for whatever reason but when thd phone is back on the jb, apps and everythibg else is still there...
Then whats the point doing jb if after restart you lose it?
Unless im missing something

this is exactly why its best to wait for a non tethered jailbreak.

also if you install apps that need to restart the springboard like winterboard the same happens..

Damn..
So i guess i didnt save anything from 4.1. All i did was back up, sync etc in ituned when ever i log on. Same with 4.2.1

WhAt if i have a friend with ip4 4.1 and same base band as me. Can i use his files to go back to 4.1?

no you cant use your friends iphone 4 to downgrade its specific to each iphone so no such luck. all you can do is wait

Hi All

I am new to this site but i am also new to the iphone 4 and jailbreaking i did the 4.21 jailbreak as my phone came with 4.21 installed and i know its thethered but i had no choice im starting to i wish i waited

However there is issue im having and im sorry if this a stupid question but everytime i lose charge the phone just stays with the apple logo when i try and switch the phone on and the only way i getting the phone back on is to connect to red snow and selecting just boot thethered now

Now is this normal because the phone is tethered or is there a problem with my iphone thanks in advance

Hi All

I am new to this site but i am also new to the iphone 4 and jailbreaking i did the 4.21 jailbreak as my phone came with 4.21 installed and i know its thethered but i had no choice im starting to i wish i waited

However there is issue im having and im sorry if this a stupid question but everytime i lose charge the phone just stays with the apple logo when i try and switch the phone on and the only way i getting the phone back on is to connect to red snow and selecting just boot thethered now

Now is this normal because the phone is tethered or is there a problem with my iphone thanks in advance

Yes, that's because it's tethered. Just restore to factory settings if you don't want to mess with it.

Hi All

Yes, that's because it's tethered. Just restore to factory settings if you don't want to mess with it.

Thanks so much for letting me know i thought i broke my iphone i will hang fire until the new jailbreak comes thanks once again.

do you think there will be an untethered JB for iphone 4 4.2.1 by christmas?

do you think there will be an untethered JB for iphone 4 4.2.1 by christmas?
Prolly will take years. By that time we'll have ip6 :)

Last edited:
lol Own i agree all these devs always wanna wait and this wait crap before releasing new jailbreaks. they should of just released shatter.. we would of had un tethered jb atm i bet

Not long now for untethered jailbreak. MuscleNerd has had success with untethered jailbreak on iPod touch 4G on 4.2.1...

Sucks I updated a week ago thinking there was a jailbreak for it. Really missing certain things. I think the 3G unrestricter is the one that's really killing me.

Please help me, if I buy an iphone 4 in apple store today, how can I make it work in Mexico with a Telcel sim card? Thanks