What's new

How to change my carrier name in ios 5

tzeteck

Reaction score
Can somebody teach me how to change my carrier name in iPhone 4 iOS 5 without jailbreak ?

But If I try to get my sim card out from my iPhone , then edit and save the carrier name in other old model mobile phone setting then put it back to iPhone .. Did it change??

That will not change your carrier name on your new iPhone running iOS 5. Jailbreaking your phone and installing an app that mods your carrier name is the only way to accomplish this. From what I understand, only a Tethered jailbreak is available for iOS 5 which requires it to be connected to your computer upon rebooting your phone. Before too long an Untethered jailbreak will be finished and make all of us in the community very happy!!

You can change carrier name without jailbreaking. The carrier name is simply set by a plist file.

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

Open up N81AP.plist and change the "device-name" to whatever you want as your Carrier text.

In case it's not clear, you do this without jailbreaking by modifying the plist which is stored in your iTunes backup on your PC then restore the backup, thus changing the name... Make sure you perform a backup just before you change the plist, then restore the changes immediately. That way you won't lose any other data.

You can use PC tools like iBackupBot to mess with your backup files... Just be careful. Don't go changing anything else unless you know what you are doing!

In case it's not clear, you do this without jailbreaking by modifying the plist which is stored in your iTunes backup on your PC then restore the backup, thus changing the name... Make sure you perform a backup just before you change the plist, then restore the changes immediately. That way you won't lose any other data.

You can use PC tools like iBackupBot to mess with your backup files... Just be careful. Don't go changing anything else unless you know what you are doing!

I do use iBackupBot but cannot find any "N81AP.plist" within the backup files.

Are you sure this is also for iPhone and not only iPod?

I did this before successfully on iOS 4 but the file to be modified was "com.apple.springboard.plist", with adding <key>SBFakeCarrier</key> and <string>yourtext</string>. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work anymore on iOS 5 although the modification in the file still exists.

Is it possible the "N81AP.plist" is called differently on my backup files? What file exactly do I need to search for iBackupBot?

Many thanks in advance!

You can change carrier name without jailbreaking. The carrier name is simply set by a plist file.

Open up N81AP.plist and change the "device-name" to whatever you want as your Carrier text.

To help the newer people that have never worked with plists before Jmills87, do you have a recommendation on the max number of characters that should be used to avoid creating an error?

The reason for the clarification: The same trick is used in Android but if you add more characters than the number of characters originally used, there were problems in Android 2.2X or older (I have never personally tested it on 2.3 or newer).

Could you go in to a bit more detail. I don't know how to get to sysrem/library/etc.

Yes, please let us know where to find the plist to edit. Many thanks

I tried it using the method mentioned above. But I have a 4S and ios 5.0.1 So for whatever reason it didn't work. I properly entered in the code and executed the technique flawlessly. Restore back up worked fine, everything seemed fine except that after everything the Carrier name stayed the same and there were no changes. There weren't any problems either, I should mention. I didn't lose any data and the back up restore method works fine. So I'm assuming that a non jailbreak method for ios 5 still has not been found or made. Plenty of jailbreak methods but nothing for non jailbroken. I've searched the web and found nothing that works for ios 5. Hopefully somebody comes up with a way soon.

The same problem, so im here waiting for better answer.

For the guy who said that the jailbreak for 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 is tethered, he's wrong reds now will jailbreak your device for you and you don't have to do anything once you put your idevice in dfu mode. And it is an untethered jailbreak which means, no of needed for restarting your springboard or the idevice itself. I know cause my iPod touch 4g has 5.0.1 and is running on an untethered jailbreak. Soon I might have my iPhone 4s jailbroken.

Un tethered jailbreak via redsn0w is now available.

The tweak springtomize 2 will allow you to change carriers name.

I know this is an old post but thought this may help if you've not resolved it by now.