What's new

How to add set locations for Reminders + Siri

incaX

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has had issues with this...

Trying to use Siri to add reminders to appear when you leave or reach a destination. Unfortunately it looks like you only have a limited location as current location or in some cases home, or work

The direct set locations come from your own contact information in contacts

use google maps to drop pins and add the location to your own contact. When you see the address in your own contact information click edit

tap the name of the location in your list, this will allow you to select a new name, from apples set ones to your own custom ones. (when you add the new name, it doesn't appear, press cancel and it will be there anyway)

I have added shopping center, supermarket, cinema as well as the standard work and home addresses.

Now using Siri I ask "remind me to get money out when i leave the cinema"

Siri will add the reminder "get money out" with the set time as leaving location "cinema"

Fantastic for Siri or doing manually

Hope this helped someone.. if no one figured it out before...

IncaX (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iMac 21inch i7)

To set up a new reminder, hit the “Reminders” app in iOS 5, which is a completely separate app. Once there, hit the “plus” symbol.
Add whatever your reminder is, then press “done”. After that, press the reminder, and then hit “remind me”. There, you’ll be able to set either a day for the reminder, or a location.

yeah i know how to, i was helping people get preset locations... you can check your own and notice you have very limited options unless you choose a contacts location.. my instructions help you add extra hard coded locations to your reminder locations

how do you drop the google map pins ? seems like you left out a step. thanks for the info, i was struggleing with this earlier.

When in the maps app you move the map to your desired location. Place that location in the middle of the screen. You can either double tap the screen or click the page corner. Which is located bottom right of the screen. Which opens options and give you the drop or replace pin button. Then click on the pins description and add to contact

"use google maps to drop pins and add the location to your own contact. When you see the address in your own contact information
tap the name of the location in your list, this will allow you to select a new name, from apples set ones to your own custom ones. (when you add the new name, it doesn't appear, press cancel and it will be there anyway)

I have added shopping center, supermarket, cinema as well as the standard work and home addresses."

Great suggestion! But can you explain this section a bit more? I don't seem to be able to figure out the "name of the location" or how to add a new name..

Thanks
Sean

how do you drop the google map pins ? seems like you left out a step. thanks for the info, i was struggleing with this earlier.

Hold your finger on the map were you want to drop the pin.
Once it's placed, if you want to move it around, hold your finger on the pin then drag it around. Let go to drop it again.

"use google maps to drop pins and add the location to your own contact. When you see the address in your own contact information

I have added shopping center, supermarket, cinema as well as the standard work and home addresses."

Great suggestion! But can you explain this section a bit more? I don't seem to be able to figure out the "name of the location" or how to add a new name..

Thanks
Sean

In google maps, you add the pin. You then tap that blue circle with the white arrow in it that appears on the banner above the pin.
On that next screen, tap add to contacts, create new contact, then name the contact.

Back on the reminders app, you view the details of your reminder, Turn on the at a location, then just underneath that tap the address it's display by default, then on that next screen you can tap "choose another address" to pick the contact you just created for that dropped pin.
You'll also be able to use that contact you created when talking to Siri.

Hope that helps...

Oh sorry. After you have dropped the pin in the maps app, then you clicked the bubble that appears above the pin- opening the options for the pin.

Click the "add to contacts" button in the bottom left of the screen.

On the new options, click the add to existing contact button, this should take you to your contact list.

Now you need to find your own contact list. The one you have for your own phones mobile number. Click on that contact.

Once you have clicked yourself. Your contact opens and down the bottom of your information you will have that address in the list of addresses. (unfortunately iPhone gives the address it's own desired name for the address, so we need to change it)

Click edit on the current contact up the top right of the current contact screen.

Now each address in your contact list will have a red minus to the left. Find the new address you just added to the contact. It might be called home or work or just address if you have made multiple addresses.

Click only on the label in the rectangle before the address information. (work, home, other, etc) this will now take you to a new screen with standard choices for the name. Or right down the bottom a button that says "add custom label"

Once clicked you can type in what you want. Like supermarket or cinema etc. but when you click done nothing happens on mine. (not sure if it's just me) but if I click cancel and go back to the contact list, my added address now says what I wrote in as my label name.

Now when you go to reminders and add a location based reminder(if you need help doing this then ask) the first screen shows each of the locations that you have in your own contact info. Otherwise you have to search contacts to add other peoples locations.

By the way. The reason I wanted this is because I didn't want to add a contact for each business I wanted to use reminders for. This way is smarter and links directly to Siri when searching for locations you speak to her.

Hey, thanks!
That's much clearer...but I guess you have to enter it manually, rather than speaking to Siri, right?

When entering manually, it works fine. But when asking Siri to do it by asking her to remind me to buy eggs when I arrive at the supermarket, she responds "sorry, I wasn't able to create the reminder."

Am I doing something wrong? (yes, I followed the directions to add the grocery store to my contact, then changed the 'address' label to 'supermarket').

Sean

Yeah I'm not getting it either. I can add them manually and I get a good reminder. However, when I use Siri she doesn't get it.

I added walmart as a contact from maps but even when I ask Siri to remind me to get eggs when I arrive at Walmart she records it as my personal current location.

I've got them working, but I need to reset home. It recorded my work as home!! Any ideas how to reset?

I figured it out. Under settings, general, siri - Change My Info.