What's new

How fast is Internet over wireless phone?

DaveM

Reaction score
Couldn't really find the right forum, so will try this here. My brother is thinking of tethering his Verizon phone for Internet on his laptop. He would be doing this through Verizon and paying for it. He's wondering how the speed would compare to his present Time Warner Cable RoadRunner service. His only motivation here is to save money.

It is as good as a very cheap dsl line like a dsl lite service. See the picture attached.

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312685926.025008.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312685926.025008.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 371
Thanks iFrog. I kind of suspected as much but really didn't have any experience with it. I'll pass the word along.

It depends completely on how strong a signal you get at the time. If I have a full 3G signal my iPod can get download speeds close to 3mbps...

It depends completely on how strong a signal you get at the time. If I have a full 3G signal my iPod can get download speeds close to 3mbps...

Either way still a far cry from th 14 or 15 Mbps that he's now getting with his RoadRunner.

I wouldn't know what road runner is. Lol.

You have much better Internet speeds over on that side of the pond...

Sorry about that. RoadRunner is Time Warner Cable's high speed cable Internet. Depending on the day, it will test up to nearly 20 Mbps, but more typically around 14.

Ahh, no problem.

A typical speed here is up to 8mbps. I can get anywhere between 3-5mbps. Most people can get up to 20mbps. I'm just waiting on virgin installing their fiber optic cables so we can get up to 50mbps... :D