What's new

Net Neutrality Lives! FCC will Classify the Internet Under Utility-Style Rules

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
net_neutrality-moves-forward.jpg

We knew it would be coming soon. The FCC had their final meeting regarding the Net Neutrality debate. As the FCC Director Tom Wheeler shared in his proposal, the FCC will now classify the Internet under the Title II classification. This basically categorizes the Internet like a utility and allows the FCC to keep ISPs from blocking or slowing down traffic on wired and wireless networks. It also bans ISPs from charging content providers differently for any type of paid priority "fast lanes," even in the case of network congestion.

This classification will be applied to both wired and wireless broadband networks to prevent ISPs from favoring bits of data over each other. Here's a quote with a few more details regarding the resulting furor over the official announcement,

But the FCC's move to apply Title II to broadband has been viewed by cable operators, wireless providers and phone companies as a "nuclear option," with potentially devastating fallout from unintended consequences.

These companies argue that applying outdated regulation to the broadband industry will stifle innovation by hurting investment opportunities in networks. It could also allow the government to impose new taxes and tariffs, which would increase consumer bills. And they say it could even allow the government to force network operators to share their infrastructure with competitors.

Wheeler has said these fears are overblown. The agency is ignoring aspects of the Title II regulation that would apply most of the onerous requirements.

He said critics have painted his proposal as "a secret plan to regulate the Internet."

His response to that? "Nonsense. This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech. They both stand for the same concept: openness." ~ CNET

These new rules will be published in the Federal Register within the next few weeks.

I still don't understand what net neutrality is. Can someone summarize it for me? I usually see our freedoms being removed when government gets involved, is that happening here?

in this case it is the opposite. For example, the water dept. is a utility. It must give all the same quality of water at the same speed. If it wasn't a utility it could say you are limited to X gallons per day or a trickle of wasted instead of a full faucet, because we,the water company,will sell the full flow to our best customers only.
Just heard a better answer on the news. Imagine the Internet is a highway. This new policy prevents the fast lanes being restricted to those like Amazon that can pay higher rates and allows equal access to all users. In addition providers can not limit what you access, for instance Verizon can't tell you you can view Showtime but not HBOGO.

Last edited:
in this case it is the opposite. For example, the water dept. is a utility. It must give all the same quality of water at the same speed. If it wasn't a utility it could say you are limited to X gallons per day or a trickle of wasted instead of a full faucet, because we,the water company,will sell the full flow to our best customers only.
Just heard a better answer on the news. Imagine the Internet is a highway. This new policy prevents the fast lanes being restricted to those like Amazon that can pay higher rates and allows equal access to all users. In addition providers can not limit what you access, for instance Verizon can't tell you you can view Showtime but not HBOGO.

Oh, I see, thank you very much. Well, I'm all for equal access. Net neutrality sounds like a good thing!

I had been thinking it was good for the little guy too, mostly because of those I heard were against it. They didn't sound like they had my best interests as a primary concern, lol.

"We're from the government and we're here to help". :rolleyes:
This is nothing more than a power grab by the government to control one more aspect of our lives. Mark my words...this is not what you think and it's not good. The Internet is no longer free. It is controlled by the government.

The Internet has always been controlled by the government. They just didn't shift policy in the direction the cable companies asked them to.