What's new

How do you like your XR after owning it for several months?

DallasFan

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 7 that is about 2.25 years old.
There is nothing wrong with it, at least now; but if I was going to replace it with a new one, I would do it something in the Fall after the new ones are released.

Then, I might be able to get the year - old XR at a discount to what they are selling for today.

I like the XR. It costs about as much as my 7 when I bought it new, but it has a faster processor and although it is only slightly larger than the 7, the area of the viewing screen is probably 30 - 40 percent greater. I don't recall the exact specs.

When I was shopping earlier this afternoon, I saw one on display and after I compared it to my own phone, it looked really good. Faster, edge to edge display, not too big and not too small.

I am not in the market for one today, but if I was......the XR would be my first choice.

I had a 6s from it being released over 3 year back and only decided to get new phone when the battery went down so fast and it turned off before battery was flat once. I had that same problem before and got it replaced as I hadn’t had it a year. So once it happened late last year I decided rather than getting it sorted again and possibly being without a phone for few days it was time for new phone.

Definitely a full screen one so an X model. The XR being cheapest and near enough same as others I went for that. First thing I noticed was good battery life it easily lasts the day between charging which is a first for me. Face ID takes bit of getting used to but it’s ok. Love the colour options with it first time I’ve had a chosen colour in a phone. Never used the new portrait mode on camera don’t see point in it and only works with people in pic.

I had a 6s from it being released over 3 year back and only decided to get new phone when the battery went down so fast and it turned off before battery was flat once. I had that same problem before and got it replaced as I hadn’t had it a year. So once it happened late last year I decided rather than getting it sorted again and possibly being without a phone for few days it was time for new phone.

Definitely a full screen one so an X model. The XR being cheapest and near enough same as others I went for that. First thing I noticed was good battery life it easily lasts the day between charging which is a first for me. Face ID takes bit of getting used to but it’s ok. Love the colour options with it first time I’ve had a chosen colour in a phone. Never used the new portrait mode on camera don’t see point in it and only works with people in pic.

I don't use the camera as often as other people, but I am surprised at all the improvements they make in them every year.

My battery was dying on me after several hours as well, but I called Apple, they did an online test and said I qualified for a new battery. I had new one replaced last Fall for $29 and it's been fine ever since.

What really sold me on the new phone was that it is only about 1/2 inch (6 mm?) longer and slightly wider.....but the screen appears to be 30-40 percent larger (6.1 inches versus 4.7 ) because it goes end to end without the notch.

It is only 1mm thicker so it will fit in my pocket as easily as my 7.

I am in no hurry though. I can wait until the next generation is released ( I read that there might be a 3D camera on the next generation)

I am not paying $1100, $1200 for a phone though. My last three laptops did not cost more than $350 a piece.

But I am sold on the XR and I was just wondering how other people liked it so far.

Thanks for your time.

I love it! Mine was a big upgrade from my SE- which I loved the entire time I had it but I wanted a larger screen and the other features that the XR has.
I love all the features. Some of my faves are that you can pull down the top of the screen- really handy for using it one handed. I also love the grouping of the notifications. Not sure if that was simply an iOS thing or the phone.
And I love the camera features! I'm an amateur photographer and my iPhone camera gets used much much more than my DSLR.
Very happy with my XR.

I saw an advertisement today that said I could trade in my 7 and get a new XR for $449..........sweet deal.......but I don't need it now and it will be even cheaper when the new ones are released in the Fall. It seems like it is so far away, but it's basically about 6 months away.

One thing is for certain.......I won't be paying $1980 for a new Samsung folding phone.
Wow, I have never paid that much for a compute; laptop or desktop.

I wonder how many they will sell ?

It will be interesting to see what kind of changes Apple makes to the new ones in the Fall though.

I saw an advertisement today that said I could trade in my 7 and get a new XR for $449..........sweet deal.......but I don't need it now and it will be even cheaper when the new ones are released in the Fall. It seems like it is so far away, but it's basically about 6 months away.

One thing is for certain.......I won't be paying $1980 for a new Samsung folding phone.

I wonder how many they will sell ?

It will be interesting to see what kind of changes Apple makes to the new ones in the Fall though.
I'm wondering if there'll be a screen failure problem where the screen folds.

I would bet loads that this will definitely be the case- and it won't catch on. People are just too rough with their phones.

LOL. I remember saying something similar about purchasing a smartphone way back when I switched to my first Blackberry, and now several years later I'm carrying around a $1,250 (before taxes) iPhone ...LOL

I would bet loads that this will definitely be the case- and it won't catch on. People are just too rough with their phones.

Yes, I agree. The first generation of anything is in an experimental stage, so I'm sure problems will occur.
I predict it won't catch on until about the third generation just like the Phablet (large screen smartphones) didn't catch on at first either. When consumers realize they no longer have to carry a phone and a tablet separately when they can carry all in one. Why pay carrier prices for two devices when they can pay for one. I think somewhere around the third generation is normally when most "kinks" are at a minimal with electronics and tech.

Yes, I agree. The first generation of anything is in an experimental stage, so I'm sure problems will occur.
I predict it won't catch on until about the third generation just like the Phablet (large screen smartphones) didn't catch on at first either. When consumers realize they no longer have to carry a phone and a tablet separately when they can carry all in one. Why pay carrier prices for two devices when they can pay for one. I think somewhere around the third generation is normally when most "kinks" are at a minimal with electronics and tech.

I read something today that said Apple's next phone would fold, just like the new Samsung.
That thing is big....but it folds in half to something manageable.

I don't doubt that there might be a market for the phone, but I think a larger market might be phones in the 300-600 dollar range.
Perhaps they could take an iPhone 7 or 8 and put a new, advanced chip in the old phone and make it newer and faster .

Maybe I'll get one when it gets discounted.
My phones usually last 3-4 years and this one is 2.5 years old.
It will be interesting to see what Apple releases this Fall.

I want to see a hologram phone........Talk to someone with FaceTime and their image - their whole body- floats in front of you, about 3,4 inches high...........that would be an upgrade....lol

Maybe I'll get one when it gets discounted.
My phones usually last 3-4 years and this one is 2.5 years old.
It will be interesting to see what Apple releases this Fall.

I want to see a hologram phone........Talk to someone with FaceTime and their image - their whole body- floats in front of you, about 3,4 inches high...........that would be an upgrade....lol
They did that in Star Wars.;)