What's new

How do I . . . ?

newt0nsbump

Reaction score
Just got a 4s to replace my 3gs. Got all my settings and apps from iTunes, restoring from a backup I made from the 3Gs at the beginning of the process. What I did not get was a ringtone I created on the 3gs and and photos I took. How do I get these? Or, are they somewhere on the new iPhone I haven't discovered. Thanks!

newt0nsbump

P. S. I could of course recreate the ringtone with only a little trouble, but the photos . . . .

You can recover your photos if you have a backup file of your iPhone 3GS. If you don't have a backup file of the 3GS then connect your 3GS to your computer and either create a backup file which you can restore on your new iPhone 4S, or after connecting your 3GS to you computer, go to My Computer and double clic on your iPhone there, navigate to locate your photos and copy them to a location you wish in your computer. You can then add them to your 4S using iTunes.

Got my photos, thanks. But I now see there are a couple I don't need. How do I delete them?

newt0nsbump

If you got them by syncing them to your iPhone using iTunes then you will have to delete those you don't like in iTunes and sync iTunes to your iPhone again.
If you got the photos by restoring your old iPhone backup into your new iPhone, you could easily remove photos you don't want easily by deleting them directly from your photo album on your iPhone.
Seems like you've sync them to your iPhone using iTunes. Any modification on those album/pictures should be made through iTunes then sync to your iPhone.

I managed to get just the photos I wanted in Photo Library (not sure how, but it involved sync in iTunes), but I have an extra album entitled Picture which contains the same as Photo Library. How do I get rid of this? I can sync again, but that removes the Photo Library as well.

newt0nsbump

When you have your iPhone connected to iTunes highlight your iPhone, and go to pictures tab, there you can uncheck albums you don't want to sync to your iPhone.

When I connect to iTunes, highlight my phone and doubleclick, I get the list (Movies, TV shows,etc.) but no Pictures. If you're referring to the Photos Tab in Itunes, all it shows me is the sync option screen. If I try to select a different folder or access the folder where they're stored on the hard drive, I get a list of files with helpful names like F27, which I can't look at. In no way does this help me delete the duplicate album on my iPhone.

newt0nsbump

On the photo tab you suppose to see that "sync photo from" is checked right?
A bit down you have the option to check
All folders
Selected folders
Include videos

A bit down you have folders section
The albums which are present in your iPhone are checked in there, uncheck the album you want to remove from your iPhone and hit sync at lower right Conner to sync the changes to your iPhone.

When I looked at photos in iTunes I had no albums listed so, knowing it was on the iPhone I did a backup and there it was. I made sure it was unchecked and did a sync. Success! It was gone from my iPhone but . . . so was my Photo Library! When I sync to get that back, I also get back the duplicate album Picture. Now what?

newt0nsbump

If you don't mind, post a screenshot of your iPhone album like this one:
7b7980e0-5300-9656.jpg

You are most patient with me and I would gladly post such a shot . . . but that's another "How do I . . . ?":confused:

You are most patient with me and I would gladly post such a shot . . . but that's another "How do I . . . ?":confused:
When you open your photo album Press home and power on/off buttons at the same time the screenshot will be place in your camera roll album.