What's new

How Do I Shut My Damn iPhone Up ??!??

mathman

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4S, and here is the scenario....

I am at work. While waiting for my (work) computer to process a build, I thought I would pass a few moments by playing with my iPhone. The first thing I did was to turn my volume off (or that's what I thought I did) - I turned the volume right down using the button on the side. I also flipped the slider switch down, which I thought disabled the volume entirely (especially since the symbol of the bell with the strike mark through it displayed, giving the false impression that the volume was muted).

I then went to a podcast to read the text portion, but instead of doing that it decided to fire up the audio part of it AT FULL VOLUME. I tried everything I could to shut the damn thing up including frantically trying to hit the pause button on the podcast itself, but the volume point-blank refused to go away. I ended up turning it off by holding down the switch at the top of the phone, that's not ideal because it takes a good 10 seconds to do anything and in any event it displayed a slider which I was supposed to swipe to turn it off.

It was a highly embarrassing experience, and gives me no confidence in the iPhone.

Could someone suggest to me a REAL way to mute the volume on the iPhone ?

regards,
Andrew

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but see if this works. Double click the home button. Keep "sliding" icons to the right until you get to the volume bar. Turn it all the way down. That is the volume setting for music, etc. You can also get to it under the Music icon.
It is a different setting than for ringers and alerts.

You can also double click the home button when the screen is off & turn the volume down at the top of the screen. I never thought to do that until this post! Lol!

It's all up to how the app you are using is designed. With IOS 5 apple gives the choice to the developer if they want to use the volume level as their sound level. Most new apps you need to double click the home button and swipe to the right and use that volume or once your inside the app you can use the volume buttons to adjust the volume. This was done so the game volume doesn't interfere with the ringer. I think it was a good move by apple because whatever you set your ringer to, you never have to change it. Plus whatever you set the app volume level it also never change, it will be the same for all apps until you manually change it.

NewdestinyX said:
Oh my.. Whoever thought of that change and didn't tell us!!?! Aargh. I don't like it at all. I want the volume knob on the phone and more importantly the 'silent' switch to globally control all volume aspects of my phone. So there's no way to get the silent switch on the iPhone to mute all sound the phone can possibly make?

I don't believe there is a way. But as for the side button that takes care of any "unexpected" notifications (like SMS, call, or Facebook) changing the volume through the multitasking process turns the volume down for any game or audio you may turn on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

The mute button at the side and the volume buttons are only for the ringer volume not music or games. It shows you these with a speaker and "ringer" above it when you volume down. If you flick the mute tab to red this mutes texts and phone calls. I think it was done this way as its pretty hard to start your music or games without actually going into your phone and clicking a few times. Yes you can press the home button twice and the hit music play but you still have to press three times. Before music or games play the volume control pops up at the bottom giving you time to see what level it's at and if you need to higher, lower or leave it where it is before a game or music plays. You know what I think it's a pretty neat idea, as all we really mute our phones for is texts or calls.

iHolophyte

Last edited:
You know what I think it's a pretty neat idea, as all we really mute our phones for is texts or calls. iHolophyte

With all due respect, that's a lot of baloney. My situation is a case in point where it wasn't a call or a text but I still needed to mute the phone quickly.

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but see if this works. Double click the home button. Keep "sliding" icons to the right until you get to the volume bar. Turn it all the way down. That is the volume setting for music, etc. You can also get to it under the Music icon.
It is a different setting than for ringers and alerts.
I just tried it, the volume slider is so small that I had to make about five attempts before I could successfully grab it. So that is not the solution either.

I don't believe there is a way. But as for the side button that takes care of any "unexpected" notifications (like SMS, call, or Facebook) changing the volume through the multitasking process turns the volume down for any game or audio you may turn on yourself.

What do you mean "the multitasking process" ?

If you had used the volume up/down buttons AFTER it came on they would have muted the volume.

I agree that if you are not prepared for that senario, it can be an embarrassing experience. In a pinch you can put your finger over the speaker on the bottom, LOL! (or not get caught at work playing...) :p:)

With all due respect, that's a lot of baloney. My situation is a case in point where it wasn't a call or a text but I still needed to mute the phone quickly.

In which you can do by looking at your screen after you've accessed your music and turned the volume down. Or like the guy above said. Hit the volume button.

iHolophyte

I just tried it, the volume slider is so small that I had to make about five attempts before I could successfully grab it. So that is not the solution either.

Huh? "grab it?" all you have to do it slide your finger over it.

But, really, the volume up/down (after you're into it) would have been quicker than getting to the slider.

mathman said:
What do you mean "the multitasking process" ?

Double click the home button and Swipe right till you see the volume slider

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net