What's new

How do I move music files off iPhone onto my laptop?

Tricon7

Reaction score
I just updated my iPhone 4 IOS to 11.0.4. Once finished, how do I locate the songs on my iPhone? And once done, to move them into a folder on my laptop? It's probably a noob question, but I'm flummoxed. Under "Library" on the left menu I select "Music", but only three songs appear - none of which are on my iPhone (they're probably stock from the upgrade to IOS 6). I see my iPhone fine in Windows Explorer, but I can't seem to find it in iTunes.

My iPhone is shown in Windows Explorer, but after I drill down into the existing folder, it only lists pictures and videos on the right - no music. This is why I hate iTunes; the learning curve is so aggravating.

I sure hope you mean iTunes. iOS 11 is pretty far down the road.... Lol.

I agree. iTunes really isn't user friendly, which is why I prefer using simpler, more straight forward utilities like iFunBox or iExplorer. They do allow for media manipulation as well as other things. You can export the songs onto your computer with a click of a button, and the MP3 files (or other supported music extension files) will be exported back onto your computer, which is pretty neat if your friend want's a song you have on your device, and you can just rip it right off the device itself. Or in some cases where a computer meets the end of its life and you couldn't recover the hard drive or for other reasons, you can rip the media right off the device for soft copies. This also works of other data as well, such as contacts, notes, videos, photos, etc.

I sure hope you mean iTunes. iOS 11 is pretty far down the road.... Lol.

I agree. iTunes really isn't user friendly, which is why I prefer using simpler, more straight forward utilities like iFunBox or iExplorer. They do allow for media manipulation as well as other things. You can export the songs onto your computer with a click of a button, and the MP3 files (or other supported music extension files) will be exported back onto your computer, which is pretty neat if your friend want's a song you have on your device, and you can just rip it right off the device itself. Or in some cases where a computer meets the end of its life and you couldn't recover the hard drive or for other reasons, you can rip the media right off the device for soft copies. This also works of other data as well, such as contacts, notes, videos, photos, etc.

Okay, I didn't mean IOS 11. My bad.

You haven't told me how to move songs off my iPhone onto my computer. You just gave me some generalized information. I finally got my iPhone to sync with my computer, and I can see the songs on my iPhone in iTunes, but I'm at a loss as to once selected, how to move/copy a specific song(s) onto my computer (so I can burn it to CD, for example - yes, CD).

Download iFunBox. Connect your device. Click on the Quick Toolbox tab. Click on iPod Music. Select a directory on your PC. And export the media there. iFunBox does a complete backup. iExplorer on the other hand allows you to selectively export. Run it, connect your device, click on the Music tab, and export whatever song you like

Download iFunBox. Connect your device. Click on the Quick Toolbox tab. Click on iPod Music. Select a directory on your PC. And export the media there. iFunBox does a complete backup. iExplorer on the other hand allows you to selectively export. Run it, connect your device, click on the Music tab, and export whatever song you like

Wow - iFunBox is as easy as iTunes is hard. Why couldn't Apple do Easy? Anyway, it worked fine, finally. But I have many audio recordings to move, but I don't think any of the "export files and data" options look for those. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks @willerz2. That's what I was looking to get easy transfer the music. My sister was looking for these question. Great and excited forum here..

Sorry, but can't help you with the iTunes prob. But I can join you with the rest of the chorus which despises that piece of Apple software. Now that I have a Galaxy S4 beauty, I use my old iPhone 4 to play and experiment with iTunes. Still very frustrating -- its screens are illogical.

Please... Everything is all easy & good...
Well i can't type much cause am just tired, Why not go to youtube & learn how to do just that...
And yes its possible...

Another question - how do I transfer audio recordings to my laptop from the Voice Memos option under Utilities? I don't see those files either when using iFunBox or through Windows Explorer. I have some hour-long or more recordings that I'd like to burn to CD, but they're too big and too many to email.