What's new

How do I get ringtones on my iPhone?

MksTn

Reaction score
I use to assign different ringtones for callers. Now that I have an iPhone how the heck do I do that using iTunes??? I don't want to purchase songs or even ringtones. Zedge has tons of free ringtones but I can't
figure out how to get them and then get them assigned to contacts?

Thanks

Yeah, iTunes is clunky but there is a way. The tones need to be m4r format. When you download a tune and click on it, it will show up in your music library in iTunes. You need to right click on the song then click "Create AAC Version" now you will have a duplicate. Delete the original and drag the AAC version to the desktop. Once there delete the version in iTunes. rename the version on your desktop using .m4r as the file extension. when you click to play it should be in the Tones folder of iTunes. Of course this only works if you are using a PC.

This may be easier. Go to the App Store. Do a search for Zedge. Download their app.

Yeah, iTunes is clunky but there is a way. The tones need to be m4r format. When you download a tune and click on it, it will show up in your music library in iTunes. You need to right click on the song then click "Create AAC Version" now you will have a duplicate. Delete the original and drag the AAC version to the desktop. Once there delete the version in iTunes. rename the version on your desktop using .m4r as the file extension. when you click to play it should be in the Tones folder of iTunes. Of course this only works if you are using a PC.

Holly cow... thanks. Why in the world does Apple make it so difficult to get a freaking ringtone???? My god.

Or you could use the Zedge app.
I tried that app. It didn't work at all. I even called apple and they couldn't help. I did some research and then called the lady at Apple and let her know how to do it. It's a pretty good phone but it does have a few serious shortfalls. The hardest part was changing the file extension. The rest was just time.

You can make custom ringtones from the music in your phone's music library with Garageband. No computer necessary. But it's a bit complicated. It's easier to just buy a few. [emoji6]