What's new

How can I import pictures and videos from my iPhone 5s to my Dell laptop?

Jericho79

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought an iPhone 5s, and I own a Dell laptop running on Windows XP. My laptop also has the Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard driver installed.

I want to transfer a bunch of personal pictures and videos from my iPhone to my laptop.

However, whenever I turn on my iPhone and connect it to the USB port on my laptop, I get the following error message-

"The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Please make sure the device is turned on and is properly connected to the computer."

Even after making sure that my iPhone is turned on and is securely connected to my laptop, I keep getting the same error message. Nothing from my Camera Roll would be imported.

What could I be doing wrong, guys?

How can I successfully import picture and video files from my iPhone to my personal computer?

Any help?

Last edited:
Try a different USB port. Could be you are trying to use a USB1.1 port which can be unreliable. You should have a USB2.0 port.

When you do manage to get your laptop to recognize the phone, right click the phone in Windows Explorer to see it as a camera. You will then have the option to download the photographs/videos from it. You will also have the option to delete the photographs from the phone.

Try a different USB port. Could be you are trying to use a USB1.1 port which can be unreliable. You should have a USB2.0 port.

I tried all four USB ports on my laptop, and I still keep getting the same error message.

Am I getting this problem because my laptop is running on Windows XP?

Doubtful. XP should be capable of doing what you want, particularly if you have kept it up to date.

Do you have iTunes installed on that laptop? iTunes is the program that runs/installs the drivers for the phone to be able to talk to the PC...

Man

Do you have iTunes installed on that laptop? iTunes is the program that runs/installs the drivers for the phone to be able to talk to the PC...

Yes, I do have iTunes installed on my PC. However, whenever I open iTunes, it doesn't do anything. Nothing from my phone gets imported when the phone is connected via USB.

In fact, whenever I try to add files to a library, the iTunes program doesn't "see" the pictures and videos in my Camera Roll.

What else can I do?

Might want to try isolating the problem by plugging in a few alternatives.

Try a different cable and different computer, if you have access to them.

Could also be worth trying a different iDevice on your computer, using your USB cable.

Also, make sure iTunes is the latest version.

Hey guys. OP here.

Last night I successfully re-installed the necessary drivers that allows my laptop to "see" my iPhone. I then opened My Computer, clicked on the iPhone icon, and "dragged and dropped" all my picture and video files onto my desktop.

However, I've encountered another problem.

All of my video files are in .mov format on my laptop.

Whenever I use VLC media player to play these video files, the picture would freeze while the sound would continue on as usual. The sound would be fine, but the picture would just stop moving (i.e. skip a frame) for several seconds.

Is that supposed to happen?

Do I need to use an alternative video player?

Last edited:
VLC should be able to play .MOV files. If the latest version has issues, try QuickTime. That one has the advantage of playing the video right way up if the phone was held upside down when the video was shot.