What's new

How can I edit the start and end times of ringtones in itunes?

Maverick1195

Reaction score
I have recordings (gained from the Quickvoice app) that I want to turn into ringtones and alert tones. I emailed them from Quickvoice to my email as a ringtone and then added them to iTunes. There is no way I can find to alter the length of ringtones in the ringtones tab. I right click on them and go to "get info" and then the the "options" tab, and all the options present, the start time and end time options, are all grayed out. The same options are changeable on the items in my music section, but not in my ringtones. Why? How can I alter the length of ringtones, or make these ringtones go to my music section in iTunes so that I can alter them there (and then convert them back into ringtones).

go the the ringtones home folder, change the extension of the ringtone you want to change from .m4r into .mp3 or .mp4 and import it to your iTunes library.

I have recordings (gained from the Quickvoice app) that I want to turn into ringtones and alert tones. I emailed them from Quickvoice to my email as a ringtone and then added them to iTunes. There is no way I can find to alter the length of ringtones in the ringtones tab. I right click on them and go to "get info" and then the the "options" tab, and all the options present, the start time and end time options, are all grayed out. The same options are changeable on the items in my music section, but not in my ringtones. Why? How can I alter the length of ringtones, or make these ringtones go to my music section in iTunes so that I can alter them there (and then convert them back into ringtones).

you can download any free audio editing software and edit the mp3s and get them to start/finish from where you want, depending on if you are on mac or windows but google it and you will find endless apps to use

I forgot to add that I was on Windows XP. Shouldn't I be able to do this in iTunes? Why does it block the length-editing of ringtones and not songs? Bab2010 - I will try your suggestion when I get home from work. :)

go the the ringtones home folder, change the extension of the ringtone you want to change from .m4r into .mp3 or .mp4 and import it to your iTunes library.

This has worked, but I have encountered a new problem. When I adjust the start and end times of a track, sometimes a difference of up to 2.5 seconds doesn't "take." For example, I can be shortening the end time of a track by 0:00.2 seconds (a fifth of one second) and listening to it each time to hear how it sounds. Each time I listen it will of course end a little earlier, but everyone once in awhile, and not for every track, just some of them, there will be no audible change in adjustment for several changes. Sometimes I can shorten the end time of a song by up to 2.5 seconds with no audible change, and then when I shorten it by a further half of a second, bringing the total to 3.0 seconds, there will be a "jump" from the part of the track it ended on to the accurate one. How do I correct this? It seems inherent in the file itself. I have deleted a file from my iTunes library and added it again and it still happens in the same way in the same part of the song. Has this happened to anyone else?

Then you will need to download a software to manually edit your song file and then import it to iTunes, look for "Direct cut" software. It's free and it does the work pretty good.

Then you will need to download a software to manually edit your song file and then import it to iTunes, look for "Direct cut" software. It's free and it does the work pretty good.

Thank you Bab, I will.

:)