What's new

High schooler with an iPhone?

hopkinslax2294

Reaction score
Now that the 4s launched the iphone 4 dropped to 100 for the 8 gig model and 150 for the 16. As all of you know the phone is not the falling point, the monthly bill is. I can understand that and i respect my parents so I'm not going to ask them to pay for even a cent of it. i would be paying for the phone and the said data plan. Now i know all of you are thinking great now why do you need it? And to be completely honest with all of you, I don't really need it but i sure wouldn't mind it.

A lot of my friends have smart phones, but that isn't why i want the phone. I want the phone because of the functionality and convenience of it. I go jogging everyday, I have student council a fair amount, i have civil air patrol thursdays, ministry club wednesdays, spanish club tuesdays, i golf with friends as much as i can, basket ball starts up soon and lacrosse lifting starts any day now. On top of all that i maintain a 3.4 gpa and just yesterday i applied for a job (even without the job i have enough money for a $200 phone and to pay $15 data package for a year) The reason for listing my schedule and grades is because no matter what I'm doing, i always lug around my iPod and my phone. I know big deal carrying around two devices but when I'm running, lifting, setting up for dances, etc. it gets very cumbersome and annoying.

My parent's big thing however, is the internet. They are not big into kids having unsupervised internet access 24/7 and I can understand that with all that is out there now. But I am 16 turning 17 in a few months. The internet is a big part of everyone's lives now a days. I just don't know how to go about the internet issue. Do i promise to not delete browsing history ever so they can always see what I'm on? Are there any apps on the app store or services offered by AT&T that i could present to them? I never give them any problems, I do things with out being asked and i listen to all they say so I do have a healthy relationship with my parents. I ask them for nothing at all.

What are your opinions?

As for services that monitor browsing, there is a fantastic application called Mobicip. It monitors your internet access. Also, Covenant Eyes is out for iPhone which I highly recommend to your parents. By the way, these applications are free in the App Store. I'm a teenager and my parents are using Covenant Eyes on my Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPod. So definitely talk to your parents about that. Best of luck!

Last edited:
The fact that you came here asking for (mostly) adult advice with a very mature attitude about it, speaks volumes. Show them this thread and you'll probably have their trust already! You've got my vote! ;)
But I agree that the apps are a good idea to ease their minds...

Where did you find a 8gb iPhone 4? Secondly if you respect your parents internet policy you can restrict safari usage by going into settings>general>restrictions

Last edited:
iCrank said:
Where did you find a 8gb iPhone 4? Secondly if you respect your parents internet policy you can restrict safari usage by going into settings>general>restrictions

8GB iPhone 4 are now available for $99 as of 10/14/11. But, with the restrictions via settings, it completely disables the Safari functionality which can affect some applications.

unicornWaste said:
8GB iPhone 4 are now available for $99 as of 10/14/11. But, with the restrictions via settings, it completely disables the Safari functionality which can affect some applications.

I forgot all about that they would offer that version.

unicornWaste said:

The kid has to have some self restraint as well

iCrank said:
The kid has to have some self restraint as well

It seems a lot of people have. I'm a teenager and my parents have Covenant Eyes setup. With that, there are NO restrictions. But, Every week I believe, my mother (Dad is at work to much) receives and e-Mail showing all of the sites I have been to within that week. Obviously this will depend upon you parents.

I agree with one of the posters on this thread, You have taken a huge step in responsibility by just asking for adult advice. If i was your parent i would feel no need for an app to monitor your internet usage, I would feel i could trust you after reading this. But that being said if your parents insist on monitoring you there are plenty of apps out there.
As for owning a smart phone, sure alot of people don't need it, but it sure is nice when you need something. And your making a good choice in choosing an IPhone over some other brand and operating system. I'm a previous android owner and i was not happy with that type of phone at all. Once i made the move to Iphone it was so much better. You mentioned that you want to put your music on the iphone too, well it makes an excellent IPod. I did that also and it works great. And its so nice only having to carry one device.
Good luck with your parents and let us know the out come.

SweetPoison said:
You are? Who would have thunk.

Your posts are very mature and well thought out.

:)

Why thank you. Means a lot. Let's don't share ages. :) Safety issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your support on the matter. I plan on talking to them when they get home tonight. I'll definitely make sure to keep you all updated.

and unicorn, thank you very much for those apps! That is going to hold a lot of weight in the discussion

They said yes so i'll be getting one in the next week or two when my contract is up. Thank you to all of you!