What's new

Hi-Res Retina Icons When Updating Apps, But Switch To Low-Res Afterwards?

JameBoy

Reaction score
Firstly, I am new here so sorry if i've done anything wrong!

I was updating multiple applications on my iPhone 4, as you do. In the hopes that the application's would have new Retina Display compatible icons, when i noticed that when the application icons were dulled out with the little update load bar, the icons were high-res retina display compatible, so then i assumed that it was because they'd changed the icon and that it would look like that after the update, only without the update bar. But they didn't!

This has happened with EVERY update unless the icon actually has changed, has anyone else noticed this?

Here are some links to screenshots I took:

1) Check out the bottom right application called HellKid, you can clearly see that the small ribbon that says 'online' is much clearer and as is the image in general

During Update:
IMG_0451.png

After Update:
IMG_0452.png

2) Check out the bottom right application again, it's the GAME application, in this one, the icon was actually different! Different sized text when it was updating but then back to the normal crappy icon afterwards

During Update:
IMG_0422.png

After Update:
IMG_0423.png

3) Now this is the best one and the one that is easiest to see that something weird's going on! Check out the LMB app in the top right hand corner, you can clearly see that as it's updating the icon is crystal clear, the mesh that the ball is on is so clear, as is the detail around the edge of the icon, however afterwards it's still the crappy blurry icon!?

During Update:
IMG_0420.png

After Update:
IMG_0421.png

Thought I'd show this because I found it very strange, why the icons are retina compatible when they're updating, but not when they're updated and wondered if 1. Anybody else had noticed or 2. If other people's iPhone's were keeping the hi-res icon and it's just my phone not working properly

ps. It's also annoying how on the App Store application that all the icons are still the low-res images even if they're supposed to be hi-res.

Thanks for reading!

Dude I do not have an answer to your question...however I love the color bars wallpaper

I assume the icon pic that was submitted to apple for the update screen is high res... But the real icon hasn't been updated.

I thought perhaps it was because, when spmepme creates an app, they have to submit two sized icons, one for iTunes and one for the actual app on the phone and that maybe it's using the bugger iTunes one when downloading and then reverts back to the actual done after, either way it seems a bit stupid that theycqnt just stay hi-res :(

Yea, could be I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'm not a Dev so not sure what the real reason is.....