What's new

Help with using SAM and Evasi0n 6.1 please!

jc111

Reaction score
I am new to jailbreaking and such and I just got an iPhone 4 (att) today that I would like to use on T-mobile. I did not have an att sim card so I could not get past the activation screen on the phone, so I downloaded the most recent Redsn0w (semi-tethered) to bypass the activation. I was successful but I have some questions that I am hoping you can answer. I would like to use SAM to use my T-mobile sim card.
1. How does that work with a hacktivated phone?

2. If I power my phone off and then back on after setting up my t-mobile sim, will I have to connect to my computer to reboot to be able to still use my phone on the service?

3. After going through the process with SAM and setting up my T-mobile service, is it possible to "unjailbreak" my phone while keeping those settings, so I don't have to worry about turning it off and not being able to use certain apps without plugging it into the computer?

4. Can I use Evasi0n 6.1 (untethered) if my phone is hacktivated?

I know it is a lot of questions but I can't find the answers online.

1. SAM is an old unlocking method that was patched a long time ago. Unless you saved your unlock ticket with that exact phone and sim card combination while the loophole was open, you cannot use it to unlock your phone.

2. As long as you remain tethered, yes.

3. No, SAM requires a jailbreak

4. Yes, as long as you are on iOS6, you can use evasi0n, just open Cydia and install the latest Evasi0n untether package.

If you're relying on a hacktivate to keep your device open, you'd need to jailbreak using RedSn0w (don't have to tick deactivate as it's already incorporated for the 3GS and 4), boot tethered, install Evasi0n Untether for iOS 6 from Cydia and reboot your PC. Evasi0n has an initial reboot in the process, which will close your device and request for an activation again.