What's new

Help with iMessage usage overseas

markusaurileus

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums. My gf and I are having problems with getting iMessage to work properly. Our numbers are both in the US, but she's going to be out of the country for 2 months. We figured instead of using our numbers, we could continue to use imessage with our email addresses connected to our apple IDs. I've been using my email for imessage so I know it can work, and she's been using her number. But now, she put in her email address and turned off 'send as sms' and now I'm receiving her texts thru my email and not imessage.

We'd like it to work so we can use imessage thru wifi and thru our email addresses (apple IDs), not phone numbers.

Can someone help us out? Thanks!

try whats app messenger (paid) and viber (free). faster than imessage.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Terrible advice Darrel. To the OP, just flip the phone into air plane mode and don't change any of the settings, just add in the correct wi-fi settings. Continue to use iMessage as you normally would.

If you're still paranoid about being billed SMS fees, pull the sim cards out of both phones, setup your wi-fi connections and enjoy.

Junior how is view2darrel advice terrible? He is 100% correct. iMessage can be slower than dedicated apps that accomplish the same thing. He even went so far as to provide both a paid and free solution. Seems to me that is very good and considerate advice.

i have imessage but its kinda slow always. sending takes time. while using viber and whats app message are delivered in a flash. i only use imessage when i message my friend's ipod touch and ipad's. iphone to iphone best messaging is whats app and viber. i dot know why its terrible to you but its the best messaging app.

Sent from my  iPhone 4s  using Tapatalk

We ended up installing viber on our phones. Pretty good actually. We like how we can still call each other with it too. I could tell her to try taking out the sim and doing airplane/wifi mode. Thanks for the advice and help!

We ended up installing viber on our phones. Pretty good actually. We like how we can still call each other with it too. I could tell her to try taking out the sim and doing airplane/wifi mode. Thanks for the advice and help!

wow thats really sweet. ;)

Sent from my  iPhone 4s  using Tapatalk

I just downloaded Viber and love it. My sister and I will be traveling to Italy in September and I hope to be able to use it while we travel. I've got a Verizon CDMA phone, so regular calls are out of the question. I have no idea what my wifi situation will be, but keeping fingers crossed that it won't be unobtainable or obscenely expensive at the hotels.

It's amazing how darn attached I've become to this phone. Argggh!