What's new

Help needed

Ct123

Reaction score
Hi, needed some info about updating my iphone.... I got the phone on contract when i was living in australia, basically i moved back to the uk and my girlfriend canceled the phone (reported it stolen or so she said). now im back and an english sim works fine in the phone but i was wondering if i was to update the phone through itunes could this block the phone again?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou

Hi, needed some info about updating my iphone.... I got the phone on contract when i was living in australia, basically i moved back to the uk and my girlfriend canceled the phone (reported it stolen or so she said). now im back and an english sim works fine in the phone but i was wondering if i was to update the phone through itunes could this block the phone again?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou
Welcome to iPF!! Let's get a few more bits of info before we proceed with any type of updating. First off we'll need to know what version iPhone you have. Then... go to Settings>General>About... and let us know what's next to "Version" and "Modem Firmware." Also... is your iPhone currently Jailbroke? Thanks in advance for providing the additional info we'll need to help you out.

Hi its an iphone 4 32 gig not jailbroke, Says the version is 4.2.1. I was just after doing the updates through itunes so the phone is update and running fine.

Hi its an iphone 4 32 gig not jailbroke, Says the version is 4.2.1. I was just after doing the updates through itunes so the phone is update and running fine.
So, you've already updated via iTunes and you're good to go?

Yeah when i connect to itunes it says theres an update availible for the phone but im unsure to do the download incase the phone will get blocked through itunes,then i just have a 32 gig ipod again!!! Ha

Yeah when i connect to itunes it says theres an update availible for the phone but im unsure to do the download incase the phone will get blocked through itunes,then i just have a 32 gig ipod again!!! Ha
Ok... if you're 100% sure that the iPhone isn't Jailbroke.. then it's not relying on the ultrasn0w software Unlock method. Is there any type of interposer chip that's being inserted w/ your sim card? These are the methods for unlocking an iPhone 4 that isn't Factory Unlocked... what we're trying to determine. See here for an explanation of each... http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-unlocking-69/iphone-unlocking-guide-beginners-35540/

I've never updated the phone through itunes no, but i've i connected to itunes and put music, films pictures all that stuff on my phone just never been sure to the the software updates in case the phone gets blocked!

Hmmm... not really sure how to proceed w/ this. Now that I'm reading over your original post again you're saying that the iPhone was (supposedly) reported stolen. Honestly, you need to get that part squared away to make sure it won't become unuseable.

Yeah i was in australia, the phone got cut off and i couldnt make or recieve calls so i just used it as an ipod! Now im back in england i tried a new sim in (english network) and the phone now works fine can make calls and stuff! Now i was gonna do the software update throught itunes so its all upto date but i was wondering if i do this update will it block the phone again or will it still work fine?? The phones not been jail broke or anything like that either.

If it's working on the cell provider in England... and it's not Jailbroke or using a sim interposer like Gevey or Rebel... then updating via iTunes won't cause you any problems.

Ok thanx for the info, just didnt want to risk it without abit of knowledge about it, cheers!

The update in iTunes will be the firmware update to 5.1

Mostly operators block a sim card now and not the phone. Also imei locks only hold in the country it was imposed in.

If the phone contract was taken out by your ex in her name then the device does belong to her even if you were paying the bill.

Yeah i know it still belongs to her because it was in her name but i was just unsure if apple could block it again Through the firmware updates!

Apple don't get involved in this.

iTunes will not block your iPhone.