What's new

Help Making the Switch

SteelDad

Reaction score
My ATT upgrade kicks in on 12/1 and it covers my phone as well as my wife and daughter. I'm currently an android user but the move to an iPhone is largely driven by my daughter so I'm trying to get on board and am very intrigued. Because of the deals ATT is offering we can get the iPhone 4 for 99 cents and/or the 4s for $99. My question is...

Is ATT the best place to purchase the phones or is a place like Sam's Club, Apple Store, Radio Shack, or Best Buy etc better? Do they waive activation fees? Offer free hardware items like chargers? And so on.

Thank you in advance.

My ATT upgrade kicks in on 12/1 and it covers my phone as well as my wife and daughter. I'm currently an android user but the move to an iPhone is largely driven by my daughter so I'm trying to get on board and am very intrigued. Because of the deals ATT is offering we can get the iPhone 4 for 99 cents and/or the 4s for $99. My question is...

Is ATT the best place to purchase the phones or is a place like Sam's Club, Apple Store, Radio Shack, or Best Buy etc better? Do they waive activation fees? Offer free hardware items like chargers? And so on.

Thank you in advance.

SteelDad, I know people like to please their kids but heed my advice on this. iPhone is great, I have the iPhone 5. But I can tell you that coming from Android may be a little tough on you.

On a stock iPhone ( not jailbreak) you don't have living wall paper, you don't have widgets. Now for me that is not a big deal, but you might not feel that way.

IOS 6.0.1 does not allow rapid scrolling using stock or any other browser. Safari is the default browser and you cannot change that.

Now the ease of use of the iPhone over Android and it's ability to continue to run apps with different versions of software are a plus. I find the phone is much better then any of the 3 Android phones I owned.

If you rooted on Android you can jailbreak on iPhone which allows for more customization. Customization on iPhone is limited but you will not be forced to have a lot of unnecessary apps on your phone. I don't know about AT&T but Verizon gives tons of those, I assume AT&T does the same.

Now if your daughter is over 18 or at least close to 18 then I'm inclined to think that you have some sanity. However if you have a 15 year old daughter my next thought is why does a 15 year old need a smartphone and why would you allow her to dictate what type of phone to get. These are all personal opinions and you don't have to explain yourself to me. It's your money, your child, you do what you want.

I have no options to offer you on prices on a 4s but I know they are still going for a good price.

Should try BestBuys as well. Sometimes they have those in-store only deals that they don't post online or in the flyers. And the 99 cents or free iPhone 4 or $99 4S is offered by every carrier that supports the iPhone really. The BestBuy that I frequent actually has the 4 for free, and the 4S for $69 only in-stores. Do some window shopping, make a few calls and see which deal is the better deal

SteelDad, I know people like to please their kids but heed my advice on this. iPhone is great, I have the iPhone 5. But I can tell you that coming from Android may be a little tough on you.

On a stock iPhone ( not jailbreak) you don't have living wall paper, you don't have widgets. Now for me that is not a big deal, but you might not feel that way.

IOS 6.0.1 does not allow rapid scrolling using stock or any other browser. Safari is the default browser and you cannot change that.

Now the ease of use of the iPhone over Android and it's ability to continue to run apps with different versions of software are a plus. I find the phone is much better then any of the 3 Android phones I owned.

If you rooted on Android you can jailbreak on iPhone which allows for more customization. Customization on iPhone is limited but you will not be forced to have a lot of unnecessary apps on your phone. I don't know about AT&T but Verizon gives tons of those, I assume AT&T does the same.

Now if your daughter is over 18 or at least close to 18 then I'm inclined to think that you have some sanity. However if you have a 15 year old daughter my next thought is why does a 15 year old need a smartphone and why would you allow her to dictate what type of phone to get. These are all personal opinions and you don't have to explain yourself to me. It's your money, your child, you do what you want.

I have no options to offer you on prices on a 4s but I know they are still going for a good price.

Thanks for the time in replying. Much appreciated. It will certainly be an adjustment going from android to iPhone. I'm not the most tech-savvy person but I do alright. I don't have any plans to jailbreak the phone at least until I learn more about it.

Should try BestBuys as well. Sometimes they have those in-store only deals that they don't post online or in the flyers. And the 99 cents or free iPhone 4 or $99 4S is offered by every carrier that supports the iPhone really. The BestBuy that I frequent actually has the 4 for free, and the 4S for $69 only in-stores. Do some window shopping, make a few calls and see which deal is the better deal

Thanks for the reply. I've heard similar things about Best Buy too so I will definitely check them out. Just trying to save a few dollars anywhere I can:)